• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene
    Today I bought a Colt Revolver DA 38 at the Washington Gun Show for $350. On the barrel is printed:

COLT'S PT F A MFG. CO.
    HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
    PAT AUG 5, 84 NOV 6, 88 MAR 5, 95

Serial number on butt:

12xxxx

With some limited research I assume it is a Model 1892. Also with limited research, the serial number leads me to believe the revolver was built in 1899.

There are also matching numbers on the frame and wheel release: 625. Not sure what the number represents.

To be honest, I purchased the revolver because it looked old and it said "COLT" and my son has long desired for one.

I assume regular .38 ammo is a "no-no?" I've read and heard some folks talk about "Cowboy" loads. From what I gather this ammo is somewhat difficult to get, but can be done. Anyone know a good source for this particular ammo?

Anyone have an idea on the relative value? The bluing is in decent shape. Grips look good. I will try to post pictures soon. Looks like a solid gun.

Any general thoughts would be appreciated. I felt like the revolver could've been a good deal - did a real quick check on Google on my Blackberry while at the show. Saw some values that looked higher than asking price.

Hopefully a decent pickup.

:draw:

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Today I bought a Colt Revolver DA 38 at the Washington Gun Show for $350. On the barrel is printed:

COLT'S PT F A MFG. CO.
    HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
    PAT AUG 5, 84 NOV 6, 88 MAR 5, 95

Serial number on butt:

12xxxx

With some limited research I assume it is a Model 1892. Also with limited research, the serial number leads me to believe the revolver was built in 1899.

There are also matching numbers on the frame and wheel release: 625. Not sure what the number represents.

To be honest, I purchased the revolver because it looked old and it said "COLT" and my son has long desired for one.

I assume regular .38 ammo is a "no-no?" I've read and heard some folks talk about "Cowboy" loads. From what I gather this ammo is somewhat difficult to get, but can be done. Anyone know a good source for this particular ammo?

Anyone have an idea on the relative value? The bluing is in decent shape. Grips look good. I will try to post pictures soon. Looks like a solid gun.

Any general thoughts would be appreciated. I felt like the revolver could've been a good deal - did a real quick check on Google on my Blackberry while at the show. Saw some values that looked higher than asking price.

Hopefully a decent pickup.

:draw:

I have an older Colt that runs .38S&W, which is NOT .38spl!
    The way I understand it, it is basically the "Cowboy Load" you have heard of.

Not sure, but .38 Colt may be close as well.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly I'm sure. Just DON'T put .38spl in it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If it's a Colt 1892 New Army, it is in .38 Long Colt, available here:

38 LONG COLT : Ammunition To Go

38longcolt158grrnl.jpg

These revolvers are notorious for being out of time, meaning the cylinder doesn't align with the barrel when the hammer falls causing the firing pin to miss the primer. I wouldn't be surprised if your example had this problem as the majority of Colts I've come across from this era had some kind of timing problem. Good luck.

The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene
    I have an older Colt that runs .38S&W, which is NOT .38spl!
    The way I understand it, it is basically the "Cowboy Load" you have heard of.

Not sure, but .38 Colt may be close as well.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly I'm sure. Just DON'T put .38spl in it.

Thanks for the advice on the .38 spl ammo. I will stay away from it.

The Stig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Eastern Greene
    If it's a Colt 1892 New Army, it is in .38 Long Colt, available here:

38 LONG COLT : Ammunition To Go

38longcolt158grrnl.jpg

These revolvers are notorious for being out of time, meaning the cylinder doesn't align with the barrel when the hammer falls causing the firing pin to miss the primer. I wouldn't be surprised if your example had this problem as the majority of Colts I've come across from this era had some kind of timing problem. Good luck.

Went to their site and placed an order. This particular ammo was a little pricey, but better than destroying the revolver.

The rest of the ammo on the site looked promising with regard to cost. I may have to visit them again to place orders for other calibers.

Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom