• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    today my dad showed me a Colt Series 70 1911 he bought a few years ago, that I didn't even know he had.

He has never shot the thing, and really hasn't done much with it, but he has kept oil on it. This was a LEO's personal weapon, so it has some holster wear, and a couple of small spots of corrosion on the top of the slide, and along the right side of the frame in front of the trigger.

Normally this is nothing I would hesitate to remove with some fine steel wool and some oil, but being this is an all original colt, I would hate to ruin any value in the pistol.

Thoughts on what to do?? Not opposed to sending it to someone for some work if thats really the way to go.

thanks,
    clay

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would leave it alone! Let have it's patina! Or if you want to keep it as a keep sake because it is your Dads, I would send it out and have it redone by a good shop, like the black chrome finish. Hope this helps!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok thanks guys.

I guess for a little more clarification, I would like to go one of two ways: 1) just preserve and protect what is there currently, so it doesnt spread or get worse or 2) refinish back to original.

I know a refinish probably isnt cheap on the shiny blue finish, and may hurt the value for some.

anyway, thanks for the replys so far!

clay

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    also, anyone know what grips this thing is suppose to come with? Im guessing traditional wood grips, but this one has a set of Colt marked 'pachmayr' grips on it. My guess is they are actual pachmayr grips w/ the cold emblem. Looks like I need to post a couple of pictures ;)

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    lol no this is a series 70 so thats way to old ;)

plus I have the 1911 in my possession right now, and my pops isn't the most internet savy person.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok, here you go. Grips are just some I had laying around. I would like to find some original Colt grips, maybe even ones with the colt medallion. Also included a picture of the Pachmayr / Colt grips. They are in decent shape, I just dont care for the grip.

colt1911-1.JPG

colt1911-2.JPG

colt1911-3.JPG

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's a far amount of wear on there but it's a nice old series 70. For rust I usually just hit it with some 0000 steel wool and some oil, shouldn't disturb the finish anymore than the rust does. For original grips try CDNN investments (just google it and it'll come up).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice rig but unless minty or of odd variant, not a collector piece.
    The decent value would be that it is still in good shape, is a Colt, and some collector would like it as a shooter (to keep his safe queens minty).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh, I absolutely understand its a shooter, and its not leaving out possession anytime soon ;) That being said Im not opposed to spending a couple bucks to get it touched up or refinished. My dad doesn't have much in it.

so just being said, what is it worth? $600?

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I bought one just like it in the early 80's. Put the pachmayr thin wraparound grips on it. Have fired thousands of rounds in practical pistol, bowling pins, etc. It was $500 in 1980 money and I agonized over the expense. It's in worse shape than yours but still a great shooter. Nothing has ever felt better in my hands. Having some of the finish worn off just brings back memories of all the great shooting days I have had with that Colt. I won't get mine refinished, but then again all of my guns are shooters. They are not collectors items or investments. I leave the collecting of "safe queens" to those who prefer it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    ok, here you go. Grips are just some I had laying around. I would like to find some original Colt grips, maybe even ones with the colt medallion. Also included a picture of the Pachmayr / Colt grips. They are in decent shape, I just dont care for the grip.

colt1911-1.JPG

colt1911-2.JPG

colt1911-3.JPG

nice 70's series you have there......don't refinish it spend the money on ammo and SHOOT IT!!!!!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, the more I think about it the more you're probably right.

I would like some different grips, but other than that I think Ill oil it, shoot it, and keep it 'safe' for my pops! ;) . Is there a good place to pick up some colt grips?

Monster Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Normally this is nothing I would hesitate to remove with some fine steel wool and some oil, but being this is an all original colt, I would hate to ruin any value in the pistol.

Thoughts on what to do?? Not opposed to sending it to someone for some work if thats really the way to go.

thanks,
    clay

Take a look at this site: Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner
    This is the stuff used by the pros to carefully remove rust from original-blue finish. It is not that expensive, and will do the job for you.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    This is a pic of my Model 70 my dad passed down to me. Mom bought it for him in 1973 for $140.00 NIB. I have the box, receipt and paper wrapper. It has been fired very little as it was his pride and joy. Now it is mine.These are the factory grips.
    picture.php

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    This is a pic of my Model 70 my dad passed down to me. Mom bought it for him in 1973 for $140.00 NIB. I have the box, receipt and paper wrapper. It has been fired very little as it was his pride and joy. Now it is mine.These are the factory grips.
    picture.php

I like a lot, its neat you still have the paper work and documentation of the original prices. Just think if todays prices were of the old, I would literally be rolling in 1911's.

Top Bottom