Complete Lower with Stock - Is It Already a Rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just made the call. Waiting for them to check the books and get back to me.

I will be surprised if it was not documented as a rifle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The verdict is in: it's listed as "rifle receiver" in the records.

So, I'm screwed for using this thing to just slap an upper and pistol brace on it to make a sweet "pistol."

I haven't bought an AR or lower since this purchase in 2008. I think I'll just get a stripped lower and put all the parts I have in it, then move forward with my project. I have no idea what receivers are "good enough."

Here's a new question: let's say I sell the receiver (that I have now, which was documented as a "rifle receiver") to an FFL or transfer it to someone else through an FFL. If they list it as a receiver in their records, would it then be just a receiver thereafter, or would the paper trail from the original FFL's records make it still a rifle? How would the next guy who bought it even know?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

I haven't bought an AR or lower since this purchase in 2008. I think I'll just get a stripped lower and put all the parts I have in it, then move forward with my project. I have no idea what receivers are "good enough."

Here's a new question: let's say I sell the receiver (that I have now, which was documented as a "rifle receiver") to an FFL or transfer it to someone else through an FFL. If they list it as a receiver in their records, would it then be just a receiver thereafter, or would the paper trail from the original FFL's records make it still a rifle? How would the next guy who bought it even know?

PSA's are "good enough" and stripped lowers are on sale right now for $39.95 I believe.
    Your next question is very interesting.
    Especially if you stripped your current receiver, then sell it through an FFL, I'd be willing to bet they would list it as a receiver.
    Technically the FFL should probably ask about the original classification, but I doubt one would.

Once listed as a receiver, they new owner should be good to build whatever they choose.
    Interesting question.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

So, I'm screwed for using this thing to just slap an upper and pistol brace on it to make a sweet "pistol."

I'd write the ATF and ask them. I still don't believe an FFL is who makes the determination on whether it is a rifle or a receiver by what they decided to write on their paperwork.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I think I'll just get a stripped lower and put all the parts I have in it, then move forward with my project...

Might be worth putting a WTB add in the classifieds for a stripped lower?

Similarly, might shop for for an upper to go on the RRA in the classy's?

Maybe some knife trading for guns or parts?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    PSA's are "good enough" and stripped lowers are on sale right now for $39.95 I believe.
    Your next question is very interesting.
    Especially if you stripped your current receiver, then sell it through an FFL, I'd be willing to bet they would list it as a receiver.
    Technically the FFL should probably ask about the original classification, but I doubt one would.

Once listed as a receiver, they new owner should be good to build whatever they choose.
    Interesting question.

Thank you, sir. PSA is getting the most recommendations so far.

My little question is one of those things whose answer could change dramatically depending on who is running the BATFE at time it ever became an issue.

I'd write the ATF and ask them. I still don't believe an FFL is who makes the determination on whether it is a rifle or a receiver by what they decided to write on their paperwork.

That would certainly settle it for the current state of affairs. I would be good to have an opinion documented on BATFE stationery.

I think your point is compelling. Combined with my new question, unless it's just a receiver regardless of the historical records, there is no way for a transferee in the future to have any idea it was designated as a rifle receiver in an FFL's books . . . unless I explicit told the next owner, who in turn would have to notify the next owner, etc.

Just think . . . if the NFA were eliminated, all of this regulatory complication and potential life-ruining consequences would suddenly cease.

Might be worth putting a WTB add in the classifieds for a stripped lower?
    Similarly, might shop for for an upper to go on the RRA in the classy's?

Maybe some knife trading for guns or parts?

We're already in "sell a bunch of stuff" mode here. Looking for a lower here is a good idea. I have a particular upper I want though (BCM 11.5 lightweight, MLOK handguard), so I don't know if I'll have much luck finding one in like new condition. Who knows?

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    $39.95 is more like Anderson receivers when they're on sale. Any better brand for that price is a steal. If I wasn't flat broke I'd pick up several myself. Consecutive numbers is always nice.

I try to buy in threes since I have 3 girls. They're going to hate when I give them all their "guns" and they realize they have to put them together first.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive built quite a few budget ar builds and have had no issues with Anderson, Stag, and Psa lowers personally. If you keep an eye out Primary Arms will usually have a sale on the Anderson lowers for $29.99 and as mentioned above, I believe Psa has their lowers for $40. If you have a Cabelas near you they usually will have the Anderson lowers for either $50 or $60 but then you wont have to pay for transfer

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We're already in "sell a bunch of stuff" mode here. Looking for a lower here is a good idea. I have a particular upper I want though (BCM 11.5 lightweight, MLOK handguard), so I don't know if I'll have much luck finding one in like new condition. Who knows?[/FONT]

I recently finished a pistol with this same BCM upper. Build quality is top notch. If you're interested in trying it out I'd be happy to meet up sometime.

Bi91loT.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I will give you a tidy sum of $25 for that firearm, sir!

You're just a tad bit low on the offer but I"ll think about it.

I switched up the configuration slightly since that pic was taken. I had slapped it on an existing lower just to get the photo. Since then I've built a dedicated lower for it with the BCM enhanced lpk.

I've also taken the red dot off for now. I recently added MBUS sights for it, but need to get it sighted in for a proper co-witness.

Just let me know if you want to shoot it some time. I definitely recommend the BCM upper. This is the model I have.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-11-5-Carbine-ELWF-MLOK-FLUTED-p/bcm-urg-11elwf-mcmr10.htm

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You're just a tad bit low on the offer but I"ll think about it.

I switched up the configuration slightly since that pic was taken. I had slapped it on an existing lower just to get the photo. Since then I've built a dedicated lower for it with the BCM enhanced lpk.

I've also taken the red dot off for now. I recently added MBUS sights for it, but need to get it sighted in for a proper co-witness.

Just let me know if you want to shoot it some time. I definitely recommend the BCM upper. This is the model I have.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-11-5-Carbine-ELWF-MLOK-FLUTED-p/bcm-urg-11elwf-mcmr10.htm

That or the non-fluted is exactly what I want. WANT!

Top Bottom