• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Columbia City, IN
    Just out of curiosity, of those of you who have taken technique courses in pistol shooting, how many of you have taken a course focused on scenarios, or the specific contexts, in which you might need to employ said skills?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have only taken 1 dedicated scenario class and another that had a half day of scenario work. (Mindset labs and MCT).

The class with Shay at Mindset was, well, life changing. Not as "enjoyable" as a high volume live fire course, but humbling and I learned a lot about who I am deep down. It also played a big part in me selling my house in downtown bloomington and moving to the mountains.

The MCT class with George was educational, but not the "gut punch/ keep you up at night" lesson that mindset was.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have only taken 1 dedicated scenario class and another that had a half day of scenario work. (Mindset labs and MCT).

The class with Shay at Mindset was, well, life changing. Not as "enjoyable" as a high volume live fire course, but humbling and I learned a lot about who I am deep down. It also played a big part in me selling my house in downtown bloomington and moving to the mountains.

The MCT class with George was educational, but not the "gut punch/ keep you up at night" lesson that mindset was.
    Troof. Shay rocked my world too. And I had the bruise to prove it. LOL
    Besides Mindset I took Murph's Street Tactics class. Both excellent.

MUCs and other street tactics are necessary IMHO. You just dont know what you dont know.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I trained with George and Shay and the ACT boys.

Everyone should do FOF scenario training. Nothing compares.

Often the back stories from the trainers are as valuable as the training itself. Scenarios, based on real life law enforcement and related circumstances can be real eye opening. One thing that was very educational for me was the use of women in the scenarios. Very easy to get "killed" in a scenario, assuming the female is always a "damsel in distress." In a scenario, just as likely in real life, a female that you do not know, can be just as likely a bad guy or turn into one while you deal with her man.

It's similar with avoidance and walking away. Not every fight has to be your's, especially when the players aren't clearly doing harm.

While not FOF, the context classes that BBI and Coach teamed up to run were packed full of real world law enforcement experience educational information also. Be great to see this sort of thing available again.

:twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I trained with George and Shay and the ACT boys.

Everyone should do FOF scenario training. Nothing compares.

It's similar with avoidance and walking away. Not every fight has to be your's, especially when the players aren't clearly doing harm.

:twocents:
    THIS. I can say without a doubt, what I learned from Murph saved my butt about 2 months after the class. I'll spare the details, but I saw the threat from a distance, recognized when he chose to key in on me and start to try to engage, and I used the skills I was taught to avoid the confrontation. Without a doubt, I know had I not learned what I did, I'd have been mugged. At least. (I was on my lunch hour, so I wasnt carrying due to company policy)

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    THIS. I can say without a doubt, what I learned from Murph saved my butt about 2 months after the class. I'll spare the details, but I saw the threat from a distance, recognized when he chose to key in on me and start to try to engage, and I used the skills I was taught to avoid the confrontation. Without a doubt, I know had I not learned what I did, I'd have been mugged. At least. (I was on my lunch hour, so I wasnt carrying due to company policy)
    There in lies the value of having a solid foundation to build upon. SA is at the base and not too far behind is self awareness.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There in lies the value of having a solid foundation to build upon. SA is at the base and not too far behind is self awareness.
    Ive always had good Situational Awareness. Had I not attended his street encounters class and been able to recognize the warning signs, I probably would have been aware of him until it was too late.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom