• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have a Dillon 650 and I was finished with about 400 flawless .308 rounds when I got a case stuck. I have never had this problem and I have no idea how to get this sucker out. Any pointers? I was looking at this.

Stuck Case Remover

Recently I also bent the decapping pin on my 9mm reloading die which is why I was reloading .308. Any suggestions? I don't want to order a $2 part from dillon to pay $8 in shipping. Can I use a Lyman part in the Dillon?

Decapping Rod Pistol

I am at an impasse until I get this figured out.

:ingo:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Lee die. Loosen collet and drive out case. Dillon die. Remove clip and screw down decapping assembly. Others will require a drill of the proper size a tap, bolt and a stack of washers to pull out stuck case. All fixes assume no live primer.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    From the OP:
    I have a Dillon 650 and I was finished with about 400 flawless .308 rounds when I got a case stuck. I have never had this problem and I have no idea how to get this sucker out. Any pointers? I was looking at this.

First, use more lube. That's the best way to avoid this. "I know, hind sight is always 20/20, right?" If you're brass is stuck in the die, unless you have experience removing brass from dies, I'd send the die back to have the brass removed. It's very easy to ruin a die by roughing it up. And... contrary to popular belief, Dillon carbide rifle dies require as much lubrication as any other die.

Recently I also bent the decapping pin on my 9mm reloading die which is why I was reloading .308. Any suggestions? I don't want to order a $2 part from dillon to pay $8 in shipping. Can I use a Lyman part in the Dillon?

No, Lyman and Dillon decapping systems are not interchangable. Call Dillon and order an extra pack of decapping pins. They come in bags of 10 and cost about $5 each. Order several bags to offset the shipping cost. You'll need them eventually.

It's always best to have spare decapping pins around for all your dies. That way when you break one, you're not out of service for a few days while waiting on the mail. (I know this from personal experience.)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    Yeah, if you're using the Dillon die, take off the clip and crank down the decapping pin. The case should pop out. If not, you're going to have to unscrew the decapping pin and hopefully the punch will unscrew too. Then chuck the die into a vice and take a long punch or something and drive the case out. You are going to ruin the expanding ball and the pin but the die will survive. I agree with Aszerigan about using moly lube. I usually use a single stage press and size and decap most taper cases one at a time because they're such a pain in the ass. I spend about 2/3 of my reloading time in case prep and 1/3 in actual loading. From experience, this is better than getting a case stuck in a progressive loader. I have a 650 XL too as well as a 1050 and a Star. Been there...done that!

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I find decapping with a Lee Universal Decapping Die works great.
    All cases are decapped prior to case cleaning.
    After 5 years, I am still on the original pin.
    There are many videos on how to remove a stuck case.

Top Bottom