• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So I'm thinking we should have a sticky with the carry law. Anyways my question is does the law say u can not carry in a court building or does it say on property of a court building? Can I be in the parking lot or the sidewalk of or not even there

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyways my question is does the law say u can not carry in a court building or does it say on property of a court building? Can I be in the parking lot or the sidewalk of or not even there

The law is 92 different county ordinances. Look up Porter County's ordinance and follow it.

Here is Tippecanoe's: http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/egov/docs/1104873318_169281.pdf

In Tippecanoe County it is "in the" courthouse and it also prohibits knives with blades longer than 2.5". Which is why I am such a fan of the Microtech UTX-70.

What is the language of the Porter County ordinance?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One of the counties NW of Indy (might be Boone) actually doesn't have a restriction in the courthouse. No metal detectors or anything. Judges might not allow in the court room, but I could have filed something while carrying when I was there. That was pretty cool/old school.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    One of the counties NW of Indy (might be Boone) actually doesn't have a restriction in the courthouse. No metal detectors or anything. Judges might not allow in the court room, but I could have filed something while carrying when I was there. That was pretty cool/old school.
    That's cool!

Not that fortunate here in Bartholomew Co.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IANAL

Considering most, if not all, court houses have cells to house inmates between hearings, is that not considered a jail?

Maybe. Even so, it would still be up to the local jurisdiction to decide whether to allow firearms in the other parts of the building.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I believe Porter County does not allow guns in the Courthouses. As I remember the doors and manned by Deputies and metal detectors. Looks like Cell Phones are off limits as well.

I don't know about outside of the courthouse, but since the two in Valpo are right in the middle of downtown, I doubt there is any restriction. Public parking and sidewalks would not be part of the courthouse.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I thought that I heard some time ago, that it was the IN Supreme Court who issued an edict that all courthouses be gun free & that carrying in one was not so much breaking the law as risking a "contempt" charge. Anyone heard that, or know if it's true?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The rulers of Montgomery County foolishly had a metal detector installed in the courthouse last year. Now entry is allowed through only one entrance and citizens are compromised if they have to enter for anything that is contained in that building, whether it is related to the court or not.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The rulers of Montgomery County foolishly had a metal detector installed in the courthouse last year. Now entry is allowed through only one entrance and citizens are compromised if they have to enter for anything that is contained in that building, whether it is related to the court or not.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Been searching here and online for regulations on carry in my county facilities. Can't seem to find the provisions, am I blind? www.allencounty.us/countycode

No carry in Courthouse or the misdemeanor/traffic court bldg attached to the jail. Also no go in the Adult and Juvenile Probation Dept facilities. Screening and metal detectors at entrance. LEO exemptions apply.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I imagine you will find out the answer as soon as you step through the security checkpoint. (regardless of "the law") Amusingly they have never said anything about my heavy duty 1-1/8th inch hickory stockman's cane. Neither do the TSA clowns at the airport. That automatic cripple exemption is just wonderful.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Been searching here and online for regulations on carry in my county facilities. Can't seem to find the provisions, am I blind? www.allencounty.us/countycode

No carry in Courthouse or the misdemeanor/traffic court bldg attached to the jail. Also no go in the Adult and Juvenile Probation Dept facilities. Screening and metal detectors at entrance. LEO exemptions apply.

Also NO Cell Phones in the Allen County Courthouse.

They'll take you down like a teenage girl if you try.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE

Thanks for the information. Would you happen to know where this is listed though?

Mainly interested in if carry is/can be prohibited in the Rousseau Centre which is a county building.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom