Cut,thread and crowning a barrel average price ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2016
    Elizabeth
    Have a savage model 10 looking to get 2" cut off and thread the barrel cause can is on the way and it's the only thing I have with out threads And of corse need it re crowned.
    Just wonder on average what you all would expect to pay for this service?
    Any recommendations for the New Albany area

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I paid $150 to have my CZ Scorpion barrel done at ZR Tactical, but I could not recommend them.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Have a savage model 10 looking to get 2" cut off and thread the barrel cause can is on the way and it's the only thing I have with out threads  And of corse need it re crowned.
    Just wonder on average what you all would expect to pay for this service?
    Any recommendations for the New Albany area

Price varies if disassembling and re-assembling the barrel is involved. Labor is money.

AllenM has done 2 different barrels for me, both just bare barrel and $100 each.

I assume a new crown is a must since the old one is gone with the old muzzle.

Allen is in Avon. He's 07/02 FFL, so if you need to leave the whole gun with him, that's totally legal.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would say between the $100 and $125 are the prices I see most commonly. I had have heard a shop tell someone $180 and I thought that was very high. If you know of a machine shop that'll do it, that will often be much cheaper than a gun shop. I had a machinist do one for $80 but I felt he was also in a way doing me a favor by taking the time out of his day to do it. On top of that I only handed him the barrel there was no disassembly or reassembly work that went in to it.
    I have also had Allen recently thread a barrel for me and I'd recommend as ljk did. His price is very fair, he works quickly. I imagine if and when I need something else threaded that is who I will be taking it to.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If I can chuck straight into my lathe I charge $100.00 to cut, crown and thread. Meaning either it is a bare barrel or final length will be greater then 21".
    it is $75.00 to just to cut threads
    on a Savage if I have to separate the barrel and receiver then re set headspace I charge $150.

If it is a Remington 700 or AK47 (because they are so similar) I charge $175.00 to separate barrel and receiver and thread

BoilerMakerME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    AllenM,
    I'm digging up an old thread, but can you disassemble and thread a Mossberg MVP in 223/5.56.
    Getting a 30 cal can for a Savage 308 bolt gun and AR10, and would like to see if this is possible so i could use it on the MVP. Also if possible since the barrel OD is about 0.730, for added stiffness can it be thread to 5/8-24, or not recommended even though unusual for caliber instead of 1/2-28.
    Thanks ahead for any input.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    AllenM,
    I'm digging up an old thread, but can you disassemble and thread a Mossberg MVP in 223/5.56.
    Getting a 30 cal can for a Savage 308 bolt gun and AR10, and would like to see if this is possible so i could use it on the MVP. Also if possible since the barrel OD is about 0.730, for added stiffness can it be thread to 5/8-24, or not recommended even though unusual for caliber instead of 1/2-28.
    Thanks ahead for any input.

I can do the MVP but I need to get a barrel nut tool. 5/8x24 is standard for 308 and will work great with .730 barrel

Top Bottom