KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Part of me wants to say Big Blue had an RQ-4 Global Hawk fly from the CONUS to Australia autonomously when I was still on active duty and that is getting to be a long time ago.

Part of me wants to grab a bullhorn and remind everyone remotely piloted Gen-2 Fighters could outmaneuver early Gen-4 fighters because of the G's they can pull when unmanned. And then remind everyone that the F-16 is an incredibly maneuverable aircraft designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.

Back in... 2000 maybe early 2001: I sat in on part of a briefing by a Colonel from DARPA. Now this is around the same time an MQ-1 Predator had just fired a Hellfire for the first time. Not in anger, 28th Test Squadron of the 53rd Wing at Eglin AFB, Florida (my all time favorite assignment was the 53rd Wing, but that's another thread.)

This DARPA Colonel (UBER nerd even by this nerd's standards) was talking about what the MQ-9 Reaper (which was not even close to operational at this point) carrying Small Diameter Bombs (also not close to operational) and the LOCAAS (Low Cost Autonomous Attack System, a little cruise missile with the warhead that ended up being in the Sensor Fused Weapon. The LOCAAS never went into production, but it was totally badass.)

After about 10 minutes I decided this nerdy Colonel was one of the most scary people I've ever met. That was well over 20 years ago, just imagine who is at DARPA now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Part of me wants to say Big Blue had an RQ-4 Global Hawk fly from the CONUS to Australia autonomously when I was still on active duty and that is getting to be a long time ago.

Part of me wants to grab a bullhorn and remind everyone remotely piloted Gen-2 Fighters could outmaneuver early Gen-4 fighters because of the G's they can pull when unmanned. And then remind everyone that the F-16 is an incredibly maneuverable aircraft designed for both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.

Back in... 2000 maybe early 2001: I sat in on part of a briefing by a Colonel from DARPA. Now this is around the same time an MQ-1 Predator had just fired a Hellfire for the first time. Not in anger, 28th Test Squadron of the 53rd Wing at Eglin AFB, Florida (my all time favorite assignment was the 53rd Wing, but that's another thread.)

This DARPA Colonel (UBER nerd even by this nerd's standards) was talking about what the MQ-9 Reaper (which was not even close to operational at this point) carrying Small Diameter Bombs (also not close to operational) and the LOCAAS (Low Cost Autonomous Attack System, a little cruise missile with the warhead that ended up being in the Sensor Fused Weapon. The LOCAAS never went into production, but it was totally badass.)

After about 10 minutes I decided this nerdy Colonel was one of the most scary people I've ever met. That was well over 20 years ago, just imagine who is at DARPA now.

They have always been there, spooky.

045956_1346651.jpeg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

iu

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In case you were wondering about it.

Has mankind NOT learned!

Top Bottom