• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    So my eldest son shows up unannounced at my front doorstep this morning at 8:00 and says: Hey Dad let’s go to the range it’s beautiful outside. I say great let’s go.

So he says to me let’s take some of our WWII guns ok. So he grabs an Enfield, 1917 Eddystone and a 24/47 Mauser. I say what about handguns? So we pick a Colt 1911, a S&W Model 39 9mm and a S&W K22 Masterpiece vintage 1951.

Then it’s: Hey Dad it’s a good thing you reloaded some ammo for these guns. Nice work he says. I can’t wait to shoot your ammo! Wow!

Off we went to Kokomo. We had the range to ourselves as no other shooter came up despite the beautiful sun and temps. We shot a few hundred rounds all told. It’s was great having my son invite me to shoot our guns and my ammo.

Then we went to lunch, Dad pays, of course. Then we drove home.

As we drove home I couldn’t believe how lucky I am to have my millennial son “take me shooting.” I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m a happy man.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Yesterday was a great day for it! My 13 year-old son and I tried going out in the morning, but the place was packed out. We went back after dinner, and nobody was there. We zeroed "his" Swedish Mauser at 100 yards, then shot it and my Remington 03A3 to see which gun would group better. I managed right at 1 1/4" with both, so they tied...guess we're going to have to take them out for a rematch sometime. That Swede is a beauty and has a smoother action than the '03, and less recoil, but there's just something about the fit of the '03 that just feels perfect to me...love that rifle.

After we got done playing with the milsurps, the bolt-action Marlin .22s came out and we shot those for about an hour. The weather was perfect, had the place to ourselves, nice weather, no bugs, and no time constraints. Just shooting. One of the best evenings I've had in a while...hopefully we can get a few more of those in this summer.

Oh, and I make him handload his own ammo :):!

shooting.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So my eldest son shows up unannounced at my front doorstep this morning at 8:00 and says: Hey Dad let’s go to the range it’s beautiful outside. I say great let’s go.

So he says to me let’s take some of our WWII guns ok. So he grabs an Enfield, 1917 Eddystone and a 24/47 Mauser. I say what about handguns? So we pick a Colt 1911, a S&W Model 39 9mm and a S&W K22 Masterpiece vintage 1951.

Then it’s: Hey Dad it’s a good thing you reloaded some ammo for these guns. Nice work he says. I can’t wait to shoot your ammo! Wow!

Off we went to Kokomo. We had the range to ourselves as no other shooter came up despite the beautiful sun and temps. We shot a few hundred rounds all told. It’s was great having my son invite me to shoot our guns and my ammo.

As we drove home I couldn’t believe how lucky I am to have my millennial son “take me shooting.” I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m a happy man.

That's good stuff right there.....

Some of my most favorite memories involve plinking with my Dad and grandfather.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No way. He is normal having grown up at my side with firearms and cars and fishing and hunting among numerous other “hobbies.” I wouldn’t trade him for anything! I’m very fortunate and thank my lucky stars how he turned out.

Good fathers often raise good sons.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Great Post & Thanks for stirring up the Memories!
    My Dad passed in 2010 & I Miss him EVERYday.
    Those Shooting & Fishing times with him were the Best (& I didn't even realize it at the time).
    RIP SSGT RMM

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My son and his family live in Washington Indiana and we can shoot out his back door anytime, he visited us with his son this weekend in Fishers, and we sure could not shoot anything out my patio door.
    My wife wants to take out a few rabbits in her garden with a Glock C02 BB gun, I checked the laws on line, she may be able to do that, hit Buggs with a CO2 BB gun, but I made her put her G-44 .22 back in its case.
    Anyway great fun day Dad. Can I come over?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's good stuff right there.....

Some of my most favorite memories involve plinking with my Dad and grandfather.
    I never got to meet either of my grandfathers and my dad didn’t care much for shooting. So when my kids ask about it, (going shooting) I rarely if ever say ‘no’.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment

Well, now we come to the true test, as to the depth of his paternal love.......
    Did he help you clean the firearms? :@ya:

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Parents pretty much always pay for their kids, even when they're adults. IMO nothing wrong with that. When I go out with my dad, he will not let me ever pick up the check.

Sounds like a great time!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, now we come to the true test, as to the depth of his paternal love.......
    Did he help you clean the firearms? :@ya:
    He told me he had to get home and do laundry. Sounded plausible to me! (Sure it did???) So I did end up cleaning and putting away the firearms. Not a problem, really.

And as far as Xwing inquired: it is always my pleasure to pick up the check. That’s what Dads do. It was tongue in cheek when I joked about paying for lunch.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom