Detonics Brochure, you saw it here first!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    http://www.evernote.ws/items/brochurefull.pdf

OK guys, I'm probably the only member of this board who collects Detonics pistols, and I don't collect any of the 2nd or 3rd generation guns. All mine are originals from the early production company based in Seattle.

HOWEVER, the company is now in its 4th (or 5th depending on if you count Bellview, WA) location and is now up and running in Belleville, Illinois. The guns are NOT yet on the market. In fact the dealers don't have brochures or anything else.

Here is a PRE-RELEASE of their upcoming product line in a PDF version of their upcoming brochure. Other than a small group of Detonics collectors, some investors and company insiders, the INGUNOWNERS are the very first to see these:

http://www.evernote.ws/items/brochurefull.pdf

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I think Detonics are great looking guns, and I have admired them since they first appeared on the market.............

They seem to be rather uncommon in the flesh. I've never even held one. Regretfully.

One question; why do the makers of this gun go in and out of business so rapidly and frequently?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One question; why do the makers of this gun go in and out of business so rapidly and frequently?
    Actually the original company was in business for quite a while. They were based in Seattle with their factory in Belview, WA. Eventually they moved the offices to Belview as well. The company was sold and renamed New Detonics and moved to Arizona were it existed for nearly 10 more years and sold again. The new owners took it to Georgia where it lasted for a couple of years and then ceased production. Georgia guns are still available NIB and can be found for just a shade under $1000.

So it was stable under the first two owners but not so under the 3rd. Time will tell if this newest ownership will be stable or not.

As for the guns, the backbone of the company really was the sub-Officer sized Combat Master model. There is actually a trick to shooting the little gun proficiently. The Combat Master design is credited with several breakthroughs and there are many patents associated with it and that is one of the reasons that the gun was considered the most reliable of the small 1911 variants. Combat Masters were associated with covert CIA work, were favorites of police undercover units and other professionals who counted on their guns. It really was made famous by the character Sonny Crocket in the TV show Miami Vice, but was held in high esteem by LEO before Hollywood discovered the guns.

And why would you open a manufacturing branch in Illinois of all places?

Lots of highly trained machinists in the southwest part of the state.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Okay.

Thanks for the information. You know your Detonics, no doubt there.

There's a lot I don't know about the companies and their history. I will have to do some reading.

Until then.......

What is the true reason for the rear sight forward placement?
    Do all Detonics have that sight feature, and have any other 1911 companies ever mimiced it?

Didn't Detonics make a NON 1911 9mm or .380 pocket-type pistol? It seems like I did see one of these somewhere............ Were they a bust, or just dropped from the line?

Thanks!

sf

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The new Detonics pistol appears to share nothing with it's 1911 family history.
    Is Detonics heading for the same kind of "success" Kimber has had with their Polymer framed pistol?

Maybe it's just me, but it really kind of looks like a Ruger SR9.

Either way, thanks for sharing the link Melensdad

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What is the true reason for the rear sight forward placement?
    Do all Detonics have that sight feature, and have any other 1911 companies ever mimiced it?
    Go back in history to the mid-1970's and many people who carried guns would not carry a gun with the hammer cocked. Today we carry 'cocked and locked' and that style was really developed by the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper. The whole point of moving the sight forward, and cutting away the rear portion of the slide was to allow for a faster cocking of the weapon with the 'weak' hand. I don't know of any other company that did that.

Didn't Detonics make a NON 1911 9mm or .380 pocket-type pistol?
    That unfortunate design was called the Pocket 9. It was unreliable and unpleasant to shoot based on everything I hear from other collectors. I've never shot one, and have no desire to attain one.

The new Detonics pistol appears to share nothing with it's 1911 family history.
    Is Detonics heading for the same kind of "success" Kimber has had with their Polymer framed pistol?
    Probably.

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    The have a booth and a lot of display guns at the NRA convention in Louisville, saw it yesterday.

kup

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Go back in history to the mid-1970's and many people who carried guns would not carry a gun with the hammer cocked. Today we carry 'cocked and locked' and that style was really developed by the late, great Col. Jeff Cooper. The whole point of moving the sight forward, and cutting away the rear portion of the slide was to allow for a faster cocking of the weapon with the 'weak' hand. I don't know of any other company that did that.

That unfortunate design was called the Pocket 9. It was unreliable and unpleasant to shoot based on everything I hear from other collectors. I've never shot one, and have no desire to attain one.

Probably.

THANKS!! :thumbsup:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    The more choices the better; although there seems to be a plethora of plastic guns on the market right now, in all shapes and sizes.

I like poly guns, and own several. {GLOCKs} I like metal frames a little better, however............... I'd really like to see some alloy aluminum frames on some new carry guns; I think an alloy frame Kahr would be great.

Top Bottom