• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    27 degrees this morning, the harvested soybean field crunching under my boots as I walk out to the range. I've got the MTX prototype and 125 rounds of ammo with me, a stack of targets, and I'm eager to see if my initial impressions of shooting this gun remain the same. And I'm off to shoot it while its dirty and unlubed. I'm not looking to punish the gun or do some sort of masochistic torture test, but I want to see if the uber-tight tolerances, in a dirty gun, in sub-freezing temperatures will cause me any problems. I suspect it will, most guns, under these conditions, when already dirty, will have issues as the gunpowder residue tends to bind up slides in cold weather.

photo3-6.jpg

One thing that haunts my mind is that the grip should be slippery. It looks like it should slip in my hand, and even though it did NOT slip the last time I went shooting I still THINK that it should. So to test that, yet again, I decided to try something a bit different. I left the gun in my unheated garage overnight. Maybe a cold aluminum grip will be slippery under fire? My plan was to find out.

So off I trudge. At my back field range I've got markers set up at 7, 10, 15, etc yards and decide that I'll stick with the 7 yard marker as my shooting distance. Because of the outside temperature and because I'm shooting with bare hands, I had preloaded 2 magazines. One magazine had Remington UMC 230grain ball. The other had a mixture of the same Remington discount fodder, but it was mixed with some 200 grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter reloads.

First magazine runs through the gun just like it should. Accuracy, despite my cold hands, is similar to my prior shooting session. I'm able to keep the group size pretty reasonable. The mixed magazine also runs through the gun without any problems. The reloads are dirty and blowing black smoke, but the gun is running fine under fire as I reload magazines and continue to shoot. I do notice that the slide is slowing down when I hit the slide release on the 5th magazine. Still the top round loads. I'm thinking that the dirty reloads, combined with the already dirty gun, and the sub-freezing temperatures are starting to work their magic. I suspect a problem will occur soon. I'm not disappointed. Somewhere during this magazine run the slide does not come all the way forward and lock up into full battery. Tap the back of the slide and the gun is good to go. A few more shots down into the magazine and the problem is repeated. Run through the magazine and switch back to the factory loaded Remington UMC 230 grain ball ammo and we are back in business as it seems to be loaded to full power while the 200grain reloads are downloaded a bit.

So is this test a failure of the gun? NOPE. Not in my book. It performed well with the factory stuff. With the lighter & much dirtier hand loads it still worked, but did have a stumble or two. Now this was in a dirty gun. With dirty light loads. And the gun was frozen (literally frozen overnight in sub-zero temps) so the powder residue had a good opportunity to gum up the action.

photo2-7.jpg

The two last targets I shot this morning, hands shaking as I shivered.
    photo1-6.jpg

Now one last thing. I set out to confirm or refute my initial shooting impressions and to find out if the sub-freezing temperatures would make the aluminum grips slippery in my hands. I came away with some thoughts from today's early morning session.

First, despite my best efforts to freeze myself, my hands and freeze the gun, the gun continues to be controllable with no real slipping in my hands. That is excellent news. Second, this gun is a pleasure to shoot fast, while my groups opened up as my speed increased, I kept my groups reasonably sized despite the increased speed. Third, I'd now trust this gun with my life if I could find a holster to fit it. To be totally fair, I've not gone looking. I checked my holsters and found none would accommodate the accessory rail, but then again, I've never carried a gun with an accessory rail so I've never bought a holster designed to for that purpose. I'm sure most holsters designed for such will accommodate this gun . . . ah Santa, you know what I want!

I noticed during some of the fast fire drills that my left (weak hand) thumb was oddly sore. Huh, how could that be??? Turns out that I was doing something odd. I began to rest my left thumb on the magazine release. As the mag release sticks out farther than a traditional mag release it appears that my left thumb found it a comfortable place to rest but under recoil would bang against the release. This is MY FAULT and it was pretty simple, once I identified the problem, to simply adjust my thumb position.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Nice review and write-up. I appreciate your suffering the cold conditions to bring us this report. Now if I could just get myself to sell some other guns maybe I could start saving for one of these. I know some people are put off a little by the looks, but I really like it - well at least from the pictures I have seen.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just read up on the Detonics page on Wikipedia (since I had never heard of them). How did you get your hands on one? It doesn't seem like they are readily available. Or more likely I'm not looking in the right places.

Great Review!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    He got the first one and the prototype, which is what he was firing here. It's cos he's a big Detonics geek and they like him :)

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Fan of the old Detonics stuff but didn't know they were back in business. Did someone purchase the rights ?

Sure wish they would re-make the Combat Master.

Either way, great review and thank you for taking out Barney. Someone had to do it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I just read up on the Detonics page on Wikipedia (since I had never heard of them). How did you get your hands on one? It doesn't seem like they are readily available. Or more likely I'm not looking in the right places.

Great Review!
    Detonics has never been known to be a brand stocked in stores so you won't find it in most gun stores unless it's in the used gun case. The brand is known mostly by professionals, LEO, etc. since the 70's it's pretty much been standard to order them direct from the factory. Detonics Defense Technologies: Enhancing Combat Precision

He got the first one and the prototype, which is what he was firing here. It's cos he's a big Detonics geek and they like him :)
    I'm not 'a' Detonics geek, I'm THE Detonics geek. But you can call me 'Sir'

Fan of the old Detonics stuff but didn't know they were back in business. Did someone purchase the rights ?

Sure wish they would re-make the Combat Master.

Either way, great review and thank you for taking out Barney. Someone had to do it.
    The do make the CombatMaster!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I keep going back to that gun in my mind. The way it felt in my hand, the balanced fell that it gave me. The almost surprisingly comfortable grip. And the great slide serrations. That is with no doubt in my mind the most comfortable feeling 1911 I have ever known. I can't imagine what must have been thousands of hours of research and development that went into its' creation.

Everything about that pistol is WIN except for the mag release. And even that I bet could be trimmed down to a more manageable length.

I am glad to hear that the grip was not slipping in your hands. That was about the only downside I could foresee about the grip itself.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    . . . Everything about that pistol is WIN except for the mag release. And even that I bet could be trimmed down to a more manageable length. . .

I agree. The gun is full of 'win' with the possible exception of the mag release. I get the point of it for competition shooters and even for a duty weapon, but not so much for a CCW type weapon. But as for the "WIN" feeling, in fact I agree so much that I may get on the waiting list for the full size version of this gun next . . . wonder if they will offer them in OD Green or Coyote Tan?

I would like to add a bit of follow up as yesterday I did a good cleaning of the gun and really to thinking about all the various parts of the gun.

• I think the Slide Stop could be a bit larger. Because of the double-stack grip, the plunger tube is integrated into the frame and for my thumb I had a slightly more difficult time reaching the Slide Stop lever due to the fact that it is almost recessed into the side of the grip/frame. If it was a bit larger it make for easier engagement.
    • I would also prefer the underside of the slide stop lever to be beveled to catch the plunger which would make reassembly much easier and TOOL FREE. As it is, I can only reassemble this gun with the aid of a sharp blade to depress the plunger while inserting the Slide Stop. While inspecting the gun Joe (GeronimoJoe85) also pointed this out and commented about it a couple weeks ago.
    • The bottom plate of the magazine should be rounded off instead of having the sharp corners. Again, my perspective is that this compact size gun would be a great CCW gun. So being a compact gun instead of a competition pistol, it only makes sense to round the edges of the plate so they don't print a "hard line" in a thin cover garment.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    This photo will give you a bit of an idea of that to which I was referring regarding the slide stop. The lever does not need to be longer, but rather the checkered surface needs to be a bit wider (for my hand) to allow for a larger engagement with the thumb. You can see that the width of the frame/grip create a pocket for the slide stop. My "complaint" is one of millimeters here, its really a small change that would make me happy.

photo3-2.jpg

And here is the bottom of the magazine, see how the edge is a nearly 90-degree corner, I think it should be radiused to make for a softer print on a cover garment.

photo1-5.jpg

Top Bottom