• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I've commented several times and compared the Detonics MTX grips with the grips on a CZ 75 so I thought it was odd when I was speaking with the president of the company and mentioned that I thought the grip was a CZ inspired grip. He said no. He said its based purely on the Browning HP design and then modified by him and his engineers. My guess is that is exactly how the CZ grip was designed too. No matter how CZ or Detonics came up with their grip designs, the 2 companies came up with similar grips. The Detonics has the better grip design, the CZ is excellent but the Detonics is even better.

I did a comparison between a CZ 75 and the Detonics MTX compact.

Both are have an area relieved under the trigger guard, the CZ 75 is less pronounced and, consequently while its far better than a 1911, its not as good as the Detonics MTX.

Both also have a scalloped area where the web of your hand wraps around rear of the grip. I'd rate both of them as equal in that respect.

However, above the rear scalloped area is the beavertail and the CZ beaver tail essentially comes straight out of the back of the gun and forces your hand down when you are trying to get a high grip. The MTX beavertail is swept upward and allows for a higher and more comfortable grip on the rear of the gun.

The index (trigger) finger of my hand is set right at the center of the trigger on the MTX when I grab the Detonics pistol but with the CZ my index finger is actually in alignment of the pivot point at the top of the trigger. My index finger reaches slightly downward to engage the trigger on the CZ 75 but it reaches straight forward to engage the trigger on the Detonics MTX.

Now maybe I'm nit-picking, because both of these guns have superb ergonomic designs, both of these guns are exceptional pieces of engineering. The CZ is used by more police and military forces around the world than any other gun. Its clearly excellent. But as good as it is, I think the ergonomics of the new MTX are slightly better. That said, I like the look of a gun with grip panels, so I like the look of the CZ better because I can put some nice wood slabs on its side while I can't do that with the Detonics because its necessarily scaled up to handle the larger 45acp cartridges.

Hopefully we can get together and make for a mini INGO shoot.

That would be great I intend on bringing my Kimber along, I am a die hard 1911 guy always have been. I am anxious to see if this new Detonics can sway me. I like very mych the way it looks and I like the option of being able to change between single and double stack with one pistol. I will also bring my XDM just for a little comparison with another platform. :rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom