Does .357 super magnum brass still exist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I’m relatively new to re-loading but luckily my dad has a wealth of knowledge and loading materials. I’m really tempted to special order a BFR from Magnum Research. They said they could do make one in .357 maximum but I’m thinking about seeing if they could go the extra .005” and making it capable of shooting .357 super magnum. That leads me to two questions:

1. Does brass for .357 super mag still exist and if so do I need special reloading dies for it?
    2. Would it be problematic to fire Primarily Maximum rounds out of it or would the .005” be negligible?

Thanks!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The 357 Super Mag is the same as 357 Maximum. They are both 1.61". Dan Wesson just wanted to attract customers so they put super in the name. They also made a 41 and 44. Starline may still offer proper headstamped brass if you want the different name.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The 357 Super Mag is the same as 357 Maximum. They are both 1.61". Dan Wesson just wanted to attract customers so they put super in the name. They also made a 41 and 44. Starline may still offer proper headstamped brass if you want the different name.
    I gotcha. I’ve been reading different articles and kept reading that the Elmer Keith super mag cartridges were all 1.61” so I want to make sure I get it right when I order the BFR. Luckily starline makes the brass!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Just curious...why the BFR as opposed to finding a Ruger or DW?

For the price difference, I want a new gun, one I know hasn't been shot to death. I'm willing to pay more for that; most of the Ruger and DW I've found are 25-35 years old and go for $1100-$1500. I also appreciate a company willing to make a custom gun for its customers because it's more personable to me.

Top Bottom