• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Maybe this is the way striker fired pistols work and I've never noticed it before, but I had to ask simply because I don't ever remember seeing this before.

I've always seen primers hit as you see on the 45 ACP, good clean punch right in the center. But my rounds all look like the firing pin is being pushed and thrown downward. Is this normal on a striker fired pistol verses a hammer pistol? The 45ACP was shot out of a 1911 and the 40S&W was shot out of a S&W M&P40.

I'm concerned not only because it looks different but also because for the first time ever I had a round (the other day) not fire and the pistol seezed up. Shot fine after (I think it was a bad round since I shot over 250 rounds through it and at least half that was after... it was cheap ammo).

Thanks

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    It's normal for an M&P, all 3 of mine show the same pattern on the primer. Hasn't been a problem and I shoot the hell out of them. I estimate i have 15,000 plus rounds shot through my M&P 9 and at least 2500 plus through a M&P 9c. Not so many through the .40, less than a 1000 but they fire and function with out a problem and they all show the same marks. I wouldn't worry about it.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    It's just the the way S&W cut the breach face in the slide for the firing pin. Why, I don't know may be help keep the firing pin from breaking during cycling? :dunno: All of mine show the same "cut" at the bottom of the firing pin hole so I'd say it's normal. Never really thought about it to be truthful.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Should see the mess my glock 20 makes out of primers. As part of a trigger job I was doing on it, I went the opposite of popular trends and put a heavier striker spring in to make trigger pull more crisp instead of mushy.

It strikes the primers alright, it makes a bigger mess out of them than that without an issue.

So I'd say you're GTG.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If you have ever reloaded, that would catch your eye.
    Goofy primer strikes are usually the first sign you see of some sort of overpressure and lets you know it's time to back off the powder a little. :)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The OP is correct about striker fired pistols. The firing pin is still in the forward position when the recoil stroke begins. Personally would check firing pin often for chipping or breakage. This is as opposed to floating firing pins found on 1911s and others. But yes, normal.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    If you have ever reloaded, that would catch your eye.
    Goofy primer strikes are usually the first sign you see of some sort of overpressure and lets you know it's time to back off the powder a little. :)

This is exactly why I ask. I'm starting to reload and noticed this for the first time (never looked at it before) and I know it's always good to inspect your brass after to see if you have any issues and for safety to keep you from having future issues. :-D

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Glad to know this is normal.

Top Bottom