• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I’ve owned a good amount of BHP’s over the years. Only two of them were “custom guns", or had custom work to them. One was a fully optioned out pistol that was. build in a way that way very limited and very special... sadly, I just didn’t love it and decided to part ways with her. The other was done by an unknown smith that was nice, sadly it just didn’t meet the standard that I personally have for a firearm to stick around in my collection.

Last week I was notified that there was a Don Williams (The Action Works) BHP on GB. From afar, I’ve never been the biggest Don Williams fan (no first hand experience), and based off my previous custom HP adventures, I was torn on buying it.. so I asked a custom gun buddy of mine who knows more about custom guns than anyone I had ever met. He told me Don was a top three BHP and he thought I should buy it. I knew it was truly a good deal so I just “pulled the trigger” hoping I would really like it.

Once I "BIN-ed" the pistol I was greeted by an email and phone call from the seller. Through the conversation, I found out from the seller/owner of the BHP has served 8 years in our Navy, over 25 with the Amy, AF and and has been a lifetime servant of our military. He spent much time flying Apache Heli’s... sadly he was shot down and is now losing his ability to shoot. He told tales of passing the HP around at a local range near Fort Bragg to Delta force guys and other elite team soldiers, all of which sang its praises. After some other really amazing conversations (that I’ll keep for myself) he ultimately discounted the pistol far below my BIN price (His suggestion). We had a lot of common threads in our lives from married life to Christian faith, and this transaction was unlike any I’d ever had on GB.

The pistol arrived to my FFL mid last week. Upon first inspection, I was very happy with the overall build, options, and feel. My only concern was the cerakote application. I do some application for several local FFL’s so I have a pretty good understanding of the process and can be a bit critical on finish work. Once I got her home and got into her, it was apparent why Don is held in such high regard for his BHP work. Not only is it the nicest BHP I’ve ever handled, it stacks up against some of my favorite pistols I have in the stable! Maybe some of it is human element in regards to Michael, and his stories/a new friendship? But-It’s probably just that good!

The trigger is unlike anything I’ve felt in a BHP. Most HP triggers I have pulled either have some grit in them, have some mush to them, or are just sloppy. Even the triggers that have been tuned by some of the "masters of the platform" are just not where I personally like a trigger. Dons trigger work is just spot on! There is NO creep at all... its crisp and done right. The stippling is just as it should be, the safety functionality is the best I’ve felt (still think Yost safety looks the best) but this one is just functional... It slightly resembles Jim Garthwaite's safety (RIP) but, it clearly Dons own vision of what it should be. The top pattern cuts are even, properly thought out, and give the gun a look that just smells of quality smith work. No words needed on the beavertail-but let me dive in! The beavertail is never an easy option to get right on the BHP... They are either to duckbill like, or they do not really flow with the gun the way a perfectly blended grip safety of a 1911 does. I guess thats not surprising though as the gun is not supposed to have this feature as designed by the man JMB. The properly welded and countered beavertail give this gun some added elegance that really pulls the dichotomy back to center from tactical work horse!! The sights on the pistol are just as I would have requested if Don was building me this gun. Ive really come around to a buried and protected adjustable rear sight but in terms of fixed irons this is spot on! Actually, the whole gun is spec’d out and has almost all my must haves for a BHP.

I had a handful of extra Spegel grips laying around... and found the perfect set in my “bin of Spegel grips” (don’t ask if I’d let any go, Ill save you the DM-NO).

I really can’t say enough about this one, Im very impressed... which is hard to do these days.

Below is the Build specs for the pistol along with some pics, I hope you all enjoyed the write up!

• Trigger Job
    • Reliability Package
    • Install HP Wide Trigger
    • New Rear Sight
    • Gold Bead Front Sight
    • 11 Degree Barrel Crown
    • Stipple Front Strap
    • Stipple Back Strap
    • French Cut Border
    • Fabricate, Machine, Weld, and Blend Beavertail
    • Bevel Magwell
    • Full Smooth-out Package
    • Flatten and Serrate slide with Arrow Pattern
    • Custom Safety
    • Cerakote Entire Pistol

50338658137_129ce3fccd_k.jpg

50337815558_bd65ea69b7_k.jpg

50338658462_efeeccc984_k.jpg

50338501591_d4d21bf43e_k.jpg

50338658357_159432bb57_k.jpg

50337814918_fb07f3d2a8_k.jpg

50338657357_16abed4a26_k.jpg

50338658257_d33261ae1d_k.jpg

50337814818_b68bf8f8fc_k.jpg

50337814728_f0545874fb_k.jpg

50337814818_b68bf8f8fc_k.jpg

50338657552_7a3b2b04cb_k.jpg

50338657412_2f6566fcbc_k.jpg

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Thanks! Shoots great! I had it out to the range over the weekend and it was a joy to shoot! Very happy with the pistol!!

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have the same eye for finish, but would not let it bother me a bit with the quality of work and functionality, and that history that goes with it. Bonus points for the build on a straight up Made in Belgium rather than Assembled in Portugal.

Sounds like a rewarding hand off between owners that I think the seller was more comfortable with. Will sometimes reflect with my closest friend that is seriously into firearms about where our items will end up someday when they outlast us.

Top Bottom