• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's the latest update on my Draco. I went to Knob Creek last week and they are now enforcing the chamber flag rule. I don't have a problem with that, but it was
    a PITA with a Draco (or any other AK varient). I'd seen the Bolt Hold Open (BHO) threads, and decided to do it to the Draco... I did my mags a little differently.
    There are BHO mags available (Bulgarian?), but they're not easy to find and they're not cheap. I am cheap, so I modified some of mine. Here's some pics; the one on
    the left has a "common" follower and the two on the right have followers that will hold the bolt to the rear after the last round is fired with a couple of
    modifications.
    P4102449.jpg

P4102450.jpg

P4102452.jpg

P4102453.jpg

P4102454.jpg

There are two liitle "bumps" on the inside of the mag body that keep the follower from going to the top of the mag and stopping at the feed lips; most people grind
    them off but I decided to cut notches in the follower instead. I don't think that it will weaken it too much, but it's possible.
    AKmagfollowersremoved2.jpg

AKmagfollowersremoved.jpg

Both followers were cut using a dremel, I rounded some with a stone and made some square with a cotoff wheel to see if shape has any bearing on working life...
    plus, I got lazy.
    Here's what it looks like when the follower is holding the bolt open.
    P4102466.jpg

OK, that gets the bolt to stay open after the last round of the mag is fired... problem is the bolt slams forward as soon as you remove the mag. The solution is to
    notch the safety lever. Again, these are also commercially available but not cheap. Again, I (ultimately) did mine a little differently. Initially, I put the
    "standard" square notch in the lever and this worked as expected. Then I thought (uh oh!) to myself, "Self, if you angled the notch to the rear, you could pull the
    charging handle back which would disengage the safety and you'd be ready to rock-n-roll!"
    P4102455.jpg

P4102457.jpg

Well, almost. Seems that (at least on my Draco) that there's not enough material on the vertical axis of the safety lever to push it down far enough to clear the
    trigger block. Bummer. But I was not to be denied! With trusty Dremel and files in hand, I set about cutting an angle on the lever so that it would clear when
    racked, but allow the weapon to be safe when fully in the up/safe position.
    P4102460.jpg

P4102461.jpg

This is with the safety lever in the full up/safe position, it completely blocks movement of the trigger as I did NOT remove any metal from the bottom of the lever.
    P4102465.jpg

here's a shot of the postion of the lever after pulling the charging handle from the BHO position.
    P4102464.jpg

Some beauty shots.
    P4102468.jpg

P4102469.jpg

Draco's are cool!

P.S. I wonder if the Secret Service flips out when "AK" and "BHO" appear in the same message? :):

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks Sporter!
    If you want to try the mag mod, 111 Gun Shop in Clarksville has them for $10.50/ea. They're covered in cosmoline and you have to dig through a box to find them.

:ingo:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Did you make new followers yourself or modify the originals somehow?

Those are the followers that came in the mags. I'm an AK newb, so I can't tell you who made them... I fact when I snooped around to try and find out I got a lot of contradictory info.

The BHO works well; not sure if it would be a tactical advantage, but it sure make life at the range easier 'cause I'm one of those people that always locks/opens the action of any weapon that I'm not actively firing.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    That is a very cool idea...I have been wanting a draco for awhile now. I have kinda been wanting to do an AK SBR build, but i dont know if i want to go into ATF's rolodex just yet

MrBogok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Indy
    Draco

:patriot:Ok, youve convinced me. Im going to go out and put my hard earned cash down on a Draco. They look so damn cool, I just gotta have one. Imagina seeing someone(me) on a motorcycle with one across their back. I bet they(me) get pulled over by every cop in the city!!!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    :patriot:Ok, youve convinced me. Im going to go out and put my hard earned cash down on a Draco. They look so damn cool, I just gotta have one. Imagina seeing someone(me) on a motorcycle with one across their back. I bet they(me) get pulled over by every cop in the city!!!

That would be an... uhhh.... attention getter for sure! :ar15:

They are exceptionally fun to fire, and I'm getting pretty good with it using the Ultimak/Red dot sights. The stock sights a typical AK crap IMO. An unexpected additional benefit is that practice with the Draco makes using my AR/EoTech ridiculously easy. Get one and enjoy!

Draco in action:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iscussion/93326-wasting_ammo.html#post1069072

:ingo:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Necro-bump

With all the new AK's people seem to be buying, I thought I'd give this thread a bump... Also, all mags are still fully functional and show no signs of excessive wear.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom