• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I'm probably not supposed to post messages in this topic, but the peanut butter is really good in my opinion. This is coming from a certified Peanut Butter Expert, mind you. I can and sometimes do live on the stuff (usually JIF).

The MRE peanut butter has come a long way from the old C-rat peanut butter, which is both good and bad. The newer stuff is very much like the commerical peanut butters you get from the store in jars. The old stuff was gritty with a lot more sugar, so it was a lot like the peanut butter inside of Reese's Peanute Butter Cups. Some people hated it, but I liked it.

Since I acquired my now dwindling supply, I have spoken to quite a few people who have either tried or eaten quite a bit of it. One fellow was in the army in Iraq and had to eat it every day he was there (in his MRE naturally), so he will no longer eat peanut butter of any kind. According to him and other reports, the vintage of MRE peanut butter would separate into the solid parts and the oil, and no amount of kneading would do much to mix it together.

With the current stuff I have, I have experienced no problems with separation. A couple of squeezes and it's like opening a new jar of Skippy or Peter Pan. Now, the heat in Iraq and age may play a significant role, but I suspect the current contractor who supplies it has a different recipe, and is probably packaging some name or generic brand in packets for the government's use.

If you like peanut butter (enough to eat it "straight"), I can't think of a more compact, more useful snack to carry. You get energy, protein, fat, electrolytes, etc.

I love peanut butter. (Jif - extra crunchy :)) But I am a bit particular.
    Thanks for the report. I appreciate it.
    (You would be amazed [well, maybe not you] how much good one spoonful of peanut butter can do.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am familiar with the healing qualities of peanut butter! Heh. if you're not doing it already, get your JIF extra crunchy from Sam's or Costco in the two-pack of the big jars.

Re: "all natural" and "organic" peanut butters ... for what it's worth, I avoid those. Aflotoxin is a concern with peanut products, and if you don't spray the peanuts with the appropriate fungicides, it's more likely to be present in higher quantities since the molds that produce the toxin are more likely to be abundant. Sometimes "natural" is not better for you. Well, actually, most of the time they're no better than other products, but often it's less healthy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Re: "all natural" and "organic" peanut butters ... for what it's worth, I avoid those. Aflotoxin is a concern with peanut products, and if you don't spray the peanuts with the appropriate fungicides, it's more likely to be present in higher quantities since the molds that produce the toxin are more likely to be abundant. Sometimes "natural" is not better for you. Well, actually, most of the time they're no better than other products, but often it's less healthy.

Maybe I should clarify. By "all natural", I really mean peanut butter made by mashing peanuts and possibly (although not always) adding sugar to it. Generally it's not my favorite, but it makes a nice change once in awhile.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oops! Sorry!

The good thing about doing that is you can control the texture! If you like it gritty, you can have it that way.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I am familiar with the healing qualities of peanut butter! Heh. if you're not doing it already, get your JIF extra crunchy from Sam's or Costco in the two-pack of the big jars.

Two-pack BIG jars? :runaway: :rockwoot::bowdown::bowdown: Gotta get to Sam's!
    Thank you!

Top Bottom