• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Do you think a Kaito Voyager Survival Radio, (or for that matter, any other radio), setting on the shelf inside a full sized FRONTIER gun safe would survive EMP with no other shielding.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I fervently hope to never find out. My hand crank radio is inside a 30 caliber ammo can that is grounded to the house ground. Theoretically, we should both be OK. I have had a house that was struck by lightning once. It fried everything electrical. Everything....Even though it was well grounded through the stake in the ground.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    As a guy who has worked in a Faraday cage, safes (especially your typical 12 or 14 ga. RSC type "safes") and ammo cans are not Faraday cages. If anything, it would be like being in an elevator, but they are better than nothing.

Try this... call your house or wife's phone from your cell phone then close it in the safe... the phone will still work just fine unless you live on the fringe of signal.

Do the same thing with a Faraday cage, your call will drop.

FM radios won't even work in there unless you attach the antenna to the cage wall... and then why are you in the cage?

Last edited:

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    As a guy who has worked in a Faraday cage, safes (especially your typical 12 or 14 ga. RSC type "safes") and ammo cans are not Faraday cages. If anything, it would be like being in an elevator, but they are better than nothing.

Try this... call your house or wife's phone from your cell phone then close it in the safe... the phone will still work just fine unless you live on the fringe of signal.

Do the same thing with a Faraday cage, your call will drop.

FM radios won't even work in there unless you attach the antenna to the cage wall... and then why are you in the cage?

No I do not live in the safe. I just keep one of my radios there. The rest reside in EMP BAGS. As to the safe itself it is made of 5/8 inch hardened boilerplate.

I too worked in an EMP shielded room in an aircraft plant, so I know a bit about Faraday cages. Just not how a gun safe will serve.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom