• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Sierra Club and other environmental groups have been targeting coal plants nationwide for retirement, which they say contribute to global warming and cause health problems.

As part of the settlement, Duke Energy also agreed to create a feed-in tariff program to purchase at least 30 megawatts of solar power from Indiana customers or buy or install 15 megawatts of green power capacity. A feed-in tariff allows customers to sell back home-generated solar power to electric utilities.

You make expensive energy seem cheaper by making cheaper energy expensive.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Man, read some of the comments at the end of the piece. It is almost ridiculous how the enviro-idiots think everything that goes against and/or disproves or calls question to their view of things are all lies and hoaxes. When the opposite is the reality. One guy brings up that in the '70's the horror was that we were headed for a global ice-age and now they are claiming the opposite and this one idiot starts saying that was all media hype. Where does he think the media got the idea? And who were the scientists that they were interviewing? Crap, a lot of the old Global Warming 'scientists' today were clamoring about an impending ice age 35 years ago. What I want to know is what happened? Did we over-correct? :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anybody have any information just how much this will affect the cost of electricity - even if it's just an educated guess?

Based on the information available, you can't make a judgment.
    How many MWs is the new plant capable of producing? If you are shutting down 5 plants at 688 MWs total, but are bringing on 1 plant at 688 MW, then there is no change. Maybe some savings due to crew reductions and more modern enviro-control equipment.

But if you are shutting down 688 MWs, and bringing online 100 MW, then electricity will go up.

Indiana is mostly coal fired plants, 83 percent according to the article.
    I think most of the rest is Natural Gas.
    TourPage1.jpg

They are hoping to get the wind farm up to 750 MWs, total. But remember, that is the largest in the Midwest. They can't build these everywhere. There is a natural wind in that area, and it's farms. Homes in the area, or no wind means no turbines. Also, you can bet the 750 MWs is a PEAK value.

So as far as Indiana is concerned, wind makes up a very small percentage.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't find the documentation to prove it, so this statement means nothing (something I learned on INGO) :)

But "green energy" costs about 3 times "conventional energy".
    Of course that is a very broad brush.
    Depends on the energy source.
    Depends on the time frame.
    Depends on maintenance costs over time.
    When calculating the cost of either, you have to remember that the government gives money to both green and conventional.

Those turbines, they break.
    When they do, you aren't paying Joe Blow from down the block, who had to work against other bids to get a contract.
    There is a limited pool so far of people trained to do that.
    Guess where the generator is. It's not on the ground, with a chain run to the top. It's at the TOP. So are the bearings that allows it to swivel. And the motors that swivel it.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    The other thing to think remember is that the peak MW production can only be achieved when all of the mills are productive. We went to Chicago for a X-Mas trip a couple of Christmases ago and when we drove past all of those windmills up by Rensselaer I estimated that about 1 in 6 were NOT turning. And the project could have only been about 3 or 4 years completed. The other thing is that wind farm has a footprint of about 70,000 acres and generates up to 400MW. The E. Harding St. (E. W. Stout) coal fired generating plant can put out up to 1170 MW with a footprint of about 600 acres or so.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The other thing to think remember is that the peak MW production can only be achieved when all of the mills are productive. We went to Chicago for a X-Mas trip a couple of Christmases ago and when we drove past all of those windmills up by Rensselaer I estimated that about 1 in 6 were NOT turning. And the project could have only been about 3 or 4 years completed. The other thing is that wind farm has a footprint of about 70,000 acres and generates up to 400MW. The E. Harding St. (E. W. Stout) coal fired generating plant can put out up to 1170 MW with a footprint of about 600 acres or so.

A few are down for maintenance.
    But more are down because the big coal plants (and Nat Gas for that matter) require a certain percentage of load to be efficient (profitable). So they shut down some of the wind, and use them when demand goes up.
    You could run the wind turbines at a 100 percent, but then a coal plant might be sucking down money, because it's efficiency is down.

Take your portable generator for your home. Run it close to 100 percent load for a tank. Then run it with just one light bulb in it for a tank. You'll find the cost per watt is higher when running a small load.

wolfeden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Medaryville
    From a worker at that field, he has filled me in on a few things the general public doesn't know about. Most if not all of the electricity produced here will go out of state. Locals don't get any of it. When you drive by on a nice day and see turbines standing still, that usually means that the outgoing grid is loaded. When the outgoing grid is filled to capacity, they have to shut down as needed so they do not overload the grid.

These blades are on a controlled RPM system. These blades and RPMs are controlled by the brake system. So when you go by on a stormy day, you may see all of them locked down. I guess this prevents the brakes from burning out.

There is a Turbine system installed where my kids go to school. It can provide what is needed to power the school. I asked about the sale of the extra electricity and they told me they get about 3 cents per kilowatt. That one is on a NIPSCO grid though. Don't know how they worked out the sales end of things there.

Just what I heard.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Looks like no one really read the complete story but the power plants that were shut down, were named in the application for the permit to build a new coal gasifaction (spelling?) plant as being replace by the new plant. The shut down of these plants was planned over 5 years ago when the new plant was being designed.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    These 6 plants are now scheduled to go off-line in 2018. When would they have gone off-line if the SC hadn't gotten involved?

Looks like I'm going to be looking into solar panels for my home in the next 5 years.

It was in the news fairly often a few years ago, but off hand, I can't remember if there was an exact date.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Granted, this is 3rd hand... but the facilities coordinator that works for my company who is responsible for ALL of our green initiatives like working the rebate system for replacing all fixtures with LED, upgrading HVAC, etc. was told by our IPL rep to expect a three fold increase in power rates once that new legislation is in full swing. Thats partly why we are going green. (One of our buildings has already seen a $1,000 per month decrease in power usage thanks to the upgrades)

Take it with a grain of salt... I did.

Top Bottom