• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    There is something about a shot gun with a hammer! I don't care if it is a coach gun or a '97. Most people don't even realize that Marlin also produced a line of hammered pump guns to compete with Winchester, but that is another story.

JM Browning had sold the design of the 1893 to Winchester right about the time the market was introducing smokeless powder to Americans. But surprise, surprise, surprise Americans believed that if it would physically fit in the gun it should flawlessly work in the gun. The frame of the 93 was not designed to take the change in pressure and there were many failures to where Winchester announced that if you bring your 1893 to any Winchester dealer in whatever condition they will give you a brand new shiny 1897 in trade. This was a brilliant strategy in that it not only decreased their liability and eliminated future failures, but it also placed the 1897 in the elevated realm of a 'superior firearm'. Now everyone wanted an 1897, what ever the losses were from this recall was far and away exceeded in the future sales and Winchester came out smelling like a rose.

The 97 went through several changes during production that are represented by a letter prefix to the serial number or 'series'. (On a side note that may help future buyers of the high end 1897's, every single 1897 Trench Gun delivered by Winchester to the government for WWI was a non-takedown frame, period. If the serial number puts it in pre war production but it is a takedown frame variety of the 1897 and they say it IS a "Trench Gun", IT IS FAKE! There are exponentially more 'trench guns' out there than were originally produced.) It has made the prewar non-takedown field grade 97's almost impossible to find in their original configuration.

Now, on to these two, the earlier "D" model on the bottom has a 26" full choke barrel, the later "E" series on top has a 30" full choke. Notice on the receiver the D series does not have the buttons low on the receiver below the ejection port. These buttons allow easy emptying of the magazine and are one of the biggest improvements Winchester made for a series change that allows unloading without having to run the live shells through the chamber (which was an acceptable practice in the day). By preventing the need for this questionable practice they once again decreased future liability.

You can also notice a change in the design of the stock. The 'pistol grips' are no longer round on the bottom of the E series (gun on top). Neither of these had the metal butt plate of the earlier models. I also have a '97 Brush Gun around here somewhere that has a 20" barrel (that came in your choice of choke). And everyone lusts over an 18" barreled Riot or Trench Gun. So between grades, chokes, series and barrel lengths, if you want a complete collection of these you had better bring a barrel full of moola...

DSC05856.JPG

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Additional note, most people are accustomed to seeing the model 12 with it's bright bolt. Of all the 1897 shotguns produced, 80% of them came with a blued bolt. So most of the 1897's you see today were blued but the bluing has just worn off over the years...

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I had ( black diamond) trap 1897, that came into my store back in the early 1980's. I kept it for a while then sold it to a collector. It was a nice shooter, wish I still had it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have my Dad's 16g and then I bought a 12g at a local show.
    My local gunsmith had to repair Dad's, luckily he was able to fabricate the part that needed to be replaced.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I took my Norinco Repro 1897 Trench Sweeper to the ISPRA's Atterbury event in August and let folks at the Clay Pigeon Station use it. It was a big hit! Of course, with that wide open cylinder choke, it was hard to miss.

HmFON5Z.jpg

wsoNYKq.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I need to get a better job... all you guys and your neat guns....am I doing something wrong? Those darn bills take up most of my money....Beautiful guns Mongo....as always!

Top Bottom