• ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    2012-04-17_09-09-38_690.jpg

I like to train to proficiency with my "A" guns, run beltfeds, hit steel at 600 yards with my precision rifle and shoot cool stuff as much as the next guy. But sometimes I train with odd guns, old guns, weapons common in other parts of the world and so on.

Part of that is becoming familar with the crappy guns of the US. There isn't much new under the sun when it comes to handgun design and operation, however, they have quirks and secrets, and that's not a bad thing to know, should you ever find yourself without your G19 and 26 and have a Tanfoglio GT 380 thrust into your hand instead.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    When I look at that pile of crap, I see a Colt 1911 that could have been bought.

I cry for that Colt, I do.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    That der iz a good Hi Point 'n that der pile ov underappreciated pile ov crap.

Everybody nos dat Hi Point iz a good gun 2 shoot.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I like to train to proficiency with my "A" guns, run beltfeds, hit steel at 600 yards with my precision rifle and shoot cool stuff as much as the next guy. But sometimes I train with odd guns, old guns, weapons common in other parts of the world and so on.

Part of that is becoming familar with the crappy guns of the US. There isn't much new under the sun when it comes to handgun design and operation, however, they have quirks and secrets, and that's not a bad thing to know, should you ever find yourself without your G19 and 26 and have a Tanfoglio GT 380 thrust into your hand instead.

I agree with your logic. It is not good to be completely lost as soon as you are faced with only one weapon available at the time which happens not to be one of the two weapons with which you are passably proficient.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I agree with your logic. It is not good to be completely lost as soon as you are faced with only one weapon available at the time which happens not to be one of the two weapons with which you are passably proficient.

I agree, lets face it if SHTF i am picking up everything possible that will fire anything down range, hell a nerf gun would be better than nothing. I will set fire to those little foam things and shoot those, or improvised flame thrower anyone?

On a serious note though, i do agree that have a proficiency with your EDC is great but if i have to fight someone else to save my life and get a hold of a strange weapon it would be nice if i had at least handled it or something similar.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    My Hi Point JHP has fired over five hundred rounds now, ball and JHP's, without one malfunction. It is also one of the most accurate .45 ACP pistols that I have shot. Hate it if you want, but mine shoots good and reliably.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    My Hi Point JHP has fired over five hundred rounds now, ball and JHP's, without one malfunction. It is also one of the most accurate .45 ACP pistols that I have shot. Hate it if you want, but mine shoots good and reliably.

I think you're kind of missing the point, it wasn't a personal attack on your weapon.

I agree with the logic, but not with the idea of buying odd guns just to learn to shoot well. I think a more practical application of the concept would be making sure you're proficient and familiar with whatever the most common guns of the time are, especially if they're in service with an organization.

Everyone should probably know the in's and outs of Glocks (19, if I have to pick one), a .45 1911, a Beretta 92, a 4" .357 revolver....you get the gist.

Also....a little hair in your diet would help hold that pile of crap together better. :D

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I recognize one right on the top. If anyone thinks those are all crappy guns they are sadly mistaken. But, then, ignorance is bliss.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I recognize one right on the top. If anyone thinks those are all crappy guns they are sadly mistaken. But, then, ignorance is bliss.

I would say that 'crappy' guns are as seen in the eyes of the beholder, but would generally agree with the OP that those are not the material of our dreams or the guns that have teenagers chomping at the bit to hit 21.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Somewhere buried under all of these twisted panties was a good point and reminder. I saw it, briefly, but now all I see is panties.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, not all those guns are total POS, maybe just rough around the edges.

Also, I don't advocate going out and buying a bunch if cheap guns. Nearly all of these I "came into" somehow. Trade, gift or purchased for $15-$20. I don't turn one down. Training, drop gun whatever. Not gonna close my mind to them.

There are a lot of odd designs out there. I have seen "gun guys" totally confused when given a Webley and a handful of .38 SW ammo and told to load it. Some people don't know about magazine disconnect safeties, loading gates or how a squeeze cock pistol works.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The "battlefield pickup" part of John Farnam's classes is a valuable exercise. Even higher end pistols can require methods of operation that you might never encounter just shooting Glock-alikes and 1911s. The differences in trigger mechanisms and feels are significant.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Agreed.

Sometimes at the range I put down my CZ and XD and pick up my buddy's Glock for this very reason. Then I shudder and reach for the comfort of my quality firearms.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Blackhawk, wow that revolver couldn't be further from a SW10. Its an RG 23. Cheapo Greman made .22 revolver from the 1960s. Not even a full steel barrel as you can see. But it gets the job done.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The "battlefield pickup" part of John Farnam's classes is a valuable exercise.

I agree; I have always valued the experience of getting to run someone else's gear, with which I might not be familiar, in a class, match or at the range.

I have often stated "I'll shoot anything once," and have gotten trigger time on a pretty wide range of weapons. My caveat to that is "I also reserve the right to stop at once," which has saved me from further abuse by .50AE Desert Eagles and stupidly lightweight .30-06 rifles. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My caveat to that is "I also reserve the right to stop at once," which has saved me from further abuse by .50AE Desert Eagles and stupidly lightweight .30-06 rifles. ;)

Sometime ask Slow1911s about the time I let him fire my Ruger M77 Mk II COMPACT. It weighs about 5 lbs. It's a .308. He shot it from a bench. He did not fire shot #2.

The thing that I remember from the battlefield pickup drill is have different the trigger mechanisms felt. I had a very difficult time hitting with a Kahr because I had trouble pressing the trigger to the rear without disturbing the alignment of the gun. Did okay with everything else from revolvers, Berettas, Walthers, FN, XD, M&P, Glock, Sig, etc, but not the Kahr.

So if I am ever in a situation where I need to use a Kahr, I know that I really need to be very mindful of how I press the trigger. And I know I'll never own one. Heh.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Great thread. I've often thought of this in the back of my mind when trying to get my schedule to allow me to go to even the social shoots and gatherings. I

'll always be "new to guns" and dearly love figuring out all the different ways they can be designed to work. A battlefield pickup class would be awesome but a cheap, easy, and social alternative (while waiting for the class to come around) would be to participate in the "shoots" and events like Jediagh puts together. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-season_3_sat_28_apr_nwi_meet_and_shoot.html

It will surely not have all the structured teaching but often you can get the gist of how to do the basic operations of a gun from its owner after he says, "sure you can shoot it, here is how it works". For noobs like me I would feel a lot more prepared to be able to get more out of a structured class having shot a random assortment of guns beyond what I have already tried to become proficient with (EDC).

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    cheap guns are entry level and if SHTF its a way to get a better gun. I'd rather have a jimenez or a hi point that nothing. Worst case scenario throw it at them.

If someone is not sure they want to get into gun ownership Id highly recommend getting a cheap one and hopefully you eventually get a better gun

Top Bottom