• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've seen trees with an obvious lean in one direction, start falling that way, then actually turn and start falling another direction.
    I think you're describing a 'barbers chair'. It's supposed to be one of the deadliest mishaps when felling trees; or at least carries the greatest potential for death. I've never seen it or had it happen to me but I've dropped more than one tree that landed approximately 90 degrees from where I had planned. I learned to use wedges and that increased my safety and accuracy. Still, the older I get the less and less I want to mess around with precarious trees. Once they're on the ground though, I turn into Paul Bunyun.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've seen trees with an obvious lean in one direction, start falling that way, then actually turn and start falling another direction.
    Then there's another issue.
    If you drop a tree and it hangs up in another tree, do you leave it for mature to take down, or do you take down the viable tree just to drop the leaning one?
    Not trying to discourage you from doing it yourself.
    I just don't want to read that you got squashed trying to sell firewood.
    I don't sell, I buy. These were a group of three junk trees I was taking out. Previous owner had let them grow up in the middle of some flowery bush like thing. I've got a silver maple that needs to come down, I'm not touching it. I had a branch taken off it a few years ago because it went straight over the house. It was between 18-24 in at it's thickest. When I was getting estimates we'd walk around the house, everyone said the same thing. That's a good size tree, next couple that's a big tree, then get to this one "That's a big ****ing tree".

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think you're describing a 'barbers chair'. It's supposed to be one of the deadliest mishaps when felling trees; or at least carries the greatest potential for death. I've never seen it or had it happen to me but I've dropped more than one tree that landed approximately 90 degrees from where I had planned. I learned to use wedges and that increased my safety and accuracy. Still, the older I get the less and less I want to mess around with precarious trees. Once they're on the ground though, I turn into Paul Bunyun.
    I am 65 years old and had not had much experience with felling trees, until about 6 years ago.
    My uncle purchased 50 acres of dense woods and put my name ( and my brothers names) on the deed. It's sole purpose is for hunting.
    I started by just clearing shooting lanes.
    The past 3 years we've had a few stiff wind storms that have brought down a bunch of trees, but also broke off a bunch 40' off the ground and the top just hinged down and was hanging.

I've gotten a LOT of practice in the past 3 years.
    My uncle is friends with a guy who cuts trees for a living.
    Anytime I get into something questionable I call or send him some pics for advice.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It's unlikely anyone is willing to pay you to take down your trees. Even at "free" you might have to wait some time to find a taker. There are a lot more people who want trees taken down than there are people who want the firewood badly enough to go through this large effort on someone else's land. Now if you cut them down and chopped them into firewood, that's something different. If looking for an "income stream", that's a better option.

Top Bottom