• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I loaded my first rounds last night. It has taken me about 5 weeks since I started gathering stuff together.
    I have a list of things I have bought to get me started in case anyone is wondering.
    Lyman turrent press with the primer tubes, got it nearly free (trading a guy some work for it)
    Redding beam scale, same as the press
    Lyman reloading manual 47th edition, free
    RCBS 2 dies set, $33
    Lyman universal case trimmer, $79
    Lee perfect powder measure, $23
    calipers, already had
    Case blocks made myself from wood
    powder funnel, $5
    reloading bench, did a little work to an existing bench
    100 Hornady Vmax 60grn, $18
    pound of benchmark powder, $19 should get around 275 rounds out of a pound
    1000 CCI 400 primers $29.95
    brass, I had already
    tumbler, next on the list maybe Santa will bring me one.:):

I used the 60 grn Vmax with 23.5 and 24 grns of benchmark I am going to increase this load up to the 25grn by 1/2 grn increments. They chamber well, and will shoot them later today.
    These shells will cost less than 30 cents each for a premium huting round. Yes you could use surplus powder and bullets and get the cost lower yet. I am making hunting rounds right now as now that deer season is out it is time to start coyote hunting. I will post my range results later today with my first batch of ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It sounds like you got everything for a song or some sweat. Either way you did just fine. Did you trim all your brass to minimum length and debur the cases? I assume you are loading for the .223, right?

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    If you'ld like, we could get together sometime so you could put that stuff over the chronograph to take away some guesswork.

Are you crimping or counting on good neck tension? If the latter you may want to turn down the expander ball on those RCBS dies just a bit. They tend to be just a bit fat for good tension without a crimp. If you do crimp you will soon be investing the $9 in a Lee factory crimp die, one of the few things they offer I've found a use for but it can't be beat. While you're at it you'll pick up the power drive shaft for the trimmer also for another 15 or $20. :dunno:I'm just sayin.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I trimmed all my brass to .002 under min length what a pain. I used the Lee debur tool orgot to add that $3.50 cleaned primer pockets with a screwdriver. I also used the debur tool to remove primer crimps on the LC brass.

I did not crimp the first rounds, actually the 60grn Vmax does not have a canalure to crimp in. I figure when I start to reload for plinging rounds I will have to start crimping and I have heard that the lee factory crimp die is the way to go. Power trimmer adapter would be nice for sure. But as early as it gets dark anymore I will have plenty of time to crank it.lol.
    I have a friend that has a cronograph that has offered some help as well. If I wear him out I will take you up on that Syko. I am loading these currently for a 18" fluted barrel R15.
    Now 9mm dies and supplies will be next any suggestions? I need cheap plinking bullets and a source for some cheap 9mm brass. I usually buy from a local shop and don't mind paying a little more for the great service I usually get. But if I order in bulk after I find a good recipe I may use mailorder, maybe.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It sounds like you got it all lined out. If you aren't going to shoot your 9mm loads in a Glock, H&K or anything else with a polygonal rifled barrel, then I'd suggest that you load hard cast lead bullets. It will save you plenty of money over jacketed. One thing about loading straight-walled pistol cartridges, is that you don't have to worry about case trimming or cleaning the primer pockets. You do need to bell your case before seating the bullet, however. I would suggest that you use carbide dies for your pistol reloading. You don't have to lube your pistol cases when using carbide dies.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Homegrown, eh? How deep do you plant 'em? And are they full sun, or just partial shade?

LOL grow light in the basement.

I got to do some shooting yesterday and here is what I ended up with. 24.5grns of Benchmark 60 grn Vmax no crimp. 18" R15 1-9 twist. No rest just trying to get as steady as I could on a bag, may have been dragging wood it looks like:dunno:. 100yards
    100_0372.jpg

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I like the lee factory crimp die , I think you will too
    ALSO!!!! don't guess..... chrono those rounds !!!
    Remember the pressures will change dramaticly with rise in tempature
    You should really shoot them in 70 or 80 degree weather when working up a load
    People seem to think a max load is best well ( I can't believe I'm saying this ) but bigger/more is not always better
    You need to work a load that delivers accuracy
    My Accuracy load is
    25.5 grains of IMR 4895 ,55 grain nosler balistic tip
    @ 79 degrees
    OAL 2.245
    I'm pushing 3020 Fps average

This load works well in am AR platform and I have confirmed prarie dog kills @ 620 yards with a bolt gun

Farmritch

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    I loaded my first rounds last night. It has taken me about 5 weeks since I started gathering stuff together.
    I have a list of things I have bought to get me started in case anyone is wondering.
    Lyman turrent press with the primer tubes, got it nearly free (trading a guy some work for it)
    Redding beam scale, same as the press
    Lyman reloading manual 47th edition, free
    RCBS 2 dies set, $33
    Lyman universal case trimmer, $79
    Lee perfect powder measure, $23
    calipers, already had
    Case blocks made myself from wood
    powder funnel, $5
    reloading bench, did a little work to an existing bench
    100 Hornady Vmax 60grn, $18
    pound of benchmark powder, $19 should get around 275 rounds out of a pound
    1000 CCI 400 primers $29.95
    brass, I had already
    tumbler, next on the list maybe Santa will bring me one.:):

I used the 60 grn Vmax with 23.5 and 24 grns of benchmark I am going to increase this load up to the 25grn by 1/2 grn increments. They chamber well, and will shoot them later today.
    These shells will cost less than 30 cents each for a premium huting round. Yes you could use surplus powder and bullets and get the cost lower yet. I am making hunting rounds right now as now that deer season is out it is time to start coyote hunting. I will post my range results later today with my first batch of ammo.
    well thats pretty frustrating. i have started gathering and am about halfway there and i have 5 times more than you invested already!

Top Bottom