• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    This is my first successful drawing for a state park deer reduction. Oaubache early firearms.
    For the folks that have been thru these hunts what can I expect?
    Overcrowded with hunters?
    Stands, blind, or ground hunt?
    Are pistols allowed?
    I did see there is a pdf download from the dnr email link and will look at it in a bit.
    Really looking for any advice or tips to make this an enjoyable and productive hunt.
    Thanks for any help!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Stimp, first read the information from the park on the hunt. It will answer several of your questions. Then send me a PM.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have only hunted Potato Creek.Scout the border fences is so,where the deer exit the property.They will leave a good path.Try to find as many as possible.They put people in zones.Set up in stand on trail near fence where they exit.When gunfire starts....they will exit.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Try not to get shot!

Hunker down next to something bullet proof and wait. When shooting stops head for the truck.

Good luck!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've hunted New Harmony, Abe Lincoln and Ft. Ben State Parks, some are better than others. My first choice is Ft. Ben as it is archery only. The New Harmony hunt wasn't too bad for a firearm hunt, they did split it into two zones and assigned them. The Abe Lincoln was a joke, too many people and not enough acreage. They also allowed hunters to go wherever they pleased. ( This seems to be SOP now)
    You'll see more deer on the fringes of the property and less people in the center. I tend to scout for deeper spots for Saturday and hunt the edges on Sunday as many don't return for the second day for various reasons
    I believe all legal firearms for public land are legal (no rifles), the hunts I've attended clearly state "no ground blinds and hunter must wear hunter orange cap AND vest.
    Get in line early, be safe, take a deer cart and these can be fun hunts that fill the freezer.
    Good luck to all and have a safe hunt.
    P.S. Keep a copy of your email on your phone to show the park staff and they'll often let you enter for free to scout the deer during open hours.

Top Bottom