• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Since I've gotten started fishing again, I've taken to looking at any body of water I pass while driving in Indianapolis and wondering if I can fish there.

I've seen retention ponds listed a couple of places as being good places for fishing because a) they are required to be stocked with fish for mosquito control and b) they don't generally see a lot of "pressure".

The main issues, IMO with fishing at such places would be one of legality--generally private property--and fish contamination (since I like to keep what I catch for the table, at least where appropriate). Related to legality is access: where you can park, etc.

Does anybody have any thoughts on these, tips on gaining permission (if needed), and tips on finding good candidates?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I wouldn't be eating any fish that came out of a neighborhood / commercial retention pond and I don't think it's cool to be taking fish from private property. My in-laws live in Carmel and have a great retention pond in their neighborhood. There was a guy who would pull up almost daily with a truck and enough fishing equipment to put him on an ESPN show. He would pull fish out of there all the time. The residents would have let him fish it but they put a stop to it when they saw him taking the fish.

There are some huge fish in retention ponds and I think they are fun to fish. I have a smaller one in my neighborhood and there were some massive bass in there. I know this because the pond guy messed up and killed a bunch of them. :xmad:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Another bad thing would be the concentrated run off of yard sprays, road chemical....

Umm, yup. Not to mention the trash, concentrated goose poop, and who knows what else. All the retention ponds in my subdivision have posted "NO FISHING/BOATING/ETC" signs around them. Not that it stops anybody, of course.

I've seen that water, and some of the crap that goes into it (like airplanes!); I wouldn't want to eat ANYTHING that came out of it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My sub's retention pond has posted signs warning that fishing is for subdivision residents only (since we pay for the pond stocking from our HOA dues). Occasionally, we have to chase away non-residents, not necessarily for fishing, but because they drive their trucks over our yards to get there, instead of using the paved path that leads right to it, or parking in the street and walking.

One guy was launching a boat into it every week to fish. There's no boat launch and he was destroying the bank to do it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom