• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I've been reloading .223 for a bit now, been using 55 gr Flat based, FMJ, Remmington bullets, today I decided to try out some FMJ Boat tail 55 grain bullets from Winchester, both has cannelures but for some reason the Boat tails will not crimp with my taper crimp die(dillion), they are so loose that I can pull them out with my fingers. I've checked them with my micrometer, they are .224 in diameter, suggestions? Case necks are within SAMMI specs as well, am I missing something here:dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Properly sized cases don't need a crimp to hold the bullet in the case. The neck tension will hold the bullet and the crimp is in addition to the neck tension.

Are you sure that you have rezised your cases?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    That makes no damn sense. If they are sized correctly, only the boat tail portion of the bullet should drop into the case mouth without applying any pressure. Did you measure the inside of case mouth by chance? Something is just not adding up. I use BT bullets and have never had an issue.

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    All I use for 223 55 grain bt never had that problem but I have to agree has to be a case sizing problem

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    That makes no damn sense. If they are sized correctly, only the boat tail portion of the bullet should drop into the case mouth without applying any pressure. Did you measure the inside of case mouth by chance? Something is just not adding up. I use BT bullets and have never had an issue.

No, I haven't, but I've tried over 200 cases tonight and 100 Winchester BTs. I did take multiple measurements of the bullets and what I have found is that the cannelure itself is a tad smaller than .224, they are all measuring around .2224 to .2227, is that enough to cause this? That is only at cannelure though above and below it is right at .2240 to .2242, so I've got about 5 that I've set to seat just below the cannelure and they fit like they should and it puts my overal length just below max length, right at 2.2258

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    All I use for 223 55 grain bt never had that problem but I have to agree has to be a case sizing problem

I highly doubt its a size issue, if it were a sizing issue, then I'd have the problem with my other bullets and I've not. My guess is that its the bullets just being a tad thin

These are the bullets I'm using by the way,

Winchester part number WB556MC55

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You are loading to an OAL of 2.258"? Why are you loading your rounds that long? I load mine to an OAL of 2.225", using 55 grain FMJBT bullets. Sounds like you are loading to long. Instead of the widest part of the bullet being set into the case mouth, .224". It sounds like the BT is being set into the case mouth. That would explain why you can remove the bullet by hand. That also would explain why you had no problems using standard and not BT bullets before. Where are you getting your data from, what powder are you using, and how many grains?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    You are loading to an OAL of 2.258"? Why are you loading your rounds that long? I load mine to an OAL of 2.225", using 55 grain FMJBT bullets. Sounds like you are loading to long. Instead of the widest part of the bullet being set into the case mouth, .224". It sounds like the BT is being set into the case mouth. That would explain why you can remove the bullet by hand. That also would explain why you had no problems using standard and not BT bullets before. Where are you getting your data from, what powder are you using, and how many grains?

Correction, I left out a 2, it should read 2.2258, my micrometer reads out 4 places, my bad

Measurements comes off a Snap on digital micrometer, reads out to 10 thousands place. Using Vargent powders, data comes from a speer reloading manual and a nosler reloading manual. Using right now, 23.5 grains of Vargent to start with.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Could be several things.

Are these pulled bullets? Second, the crimp tapers on the case mouth, so perhaps your cases are too short. Third, all bullets should be .224 diameter, but on the odd occasion, some are bulged on the butt. This will cause the neck to be bulged on the insert, then pulled on the final cartridge.

Any of these?

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    After sizing a case, check the inside diameter of the mouth on the neck. It should check .222- .223. Check the expander ball on your die, should be .222- .223... There should be .001-.002 neck tension on the bullet bearing surface. Now if you don't have much neck tension, it may be more pronounced on the boat tails, less bearing surface in case.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Could be several things.

Are these pulled bullets? Second, the crimp tapers on the case mouth, so perhaps your cases are too short. Third, all bullets should be .224 diameter, but on the odd occasion, some are bulged on the butt. This will cause the neck to be bulged on the insert, then pulled on the final cartridge.

Any of these?

No, these are brand new bullets, I'll double check my case lengths, they were around 1.75 roughly, I'll measure the butts of the bullets to see if theres an variance and report back, I'm no longer at home for the evening so I don't have access to check

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I have found my problem, the bullets are .224 at the bottom right before the boat tail, the part near the cannulure is .22165 on average, I measured all 300 I have and only 7 were .224, I even had some spec out to .2200! I'll be calling winchester on monday and raising a storm.

It is not my dies, I'm using dillion precision and the ball measures .22192

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have found my problem, the bullets are .224 at the bottom right before the boat tail, the part near the cannulure is .22165 on average, I measured all 300 I have and only 7 were .224, I even had some spec out to .2200! I'll be calling winchester on monday and raising a storm.

It is not my dies, I'm using dillion precision and the ball measures .22192

How close to to cannulure? The cannulure itself will be smaller in diameter, as that is what you are supposed to crimp too. Unless you use a factory crimp die.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    How close to to cannulure? The cannulure itself will be smaller in diameter, as that is what you are supposed to crimp too. Unless you use a factory crimp die.

Right above, right below and at the cannulure is where I'm getting my smallest numbers, the only part near .224 is the part right by the start of the boat tail. I'll try for some pics to explain what I'm meaning.

Top Bottom