• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Your three choices could not be more different and you have no clear use for the gun. You said you want a SA revolver. It seems now you are leaning towards a DA in 10mm. That's fine. Colt556 mentioned his 5" 610 revolver. I suggest getting a 5" if that's the route you decide on. I have two 5" 625s, same as the 610 but in 45 ACP. They are fun to shoot. I mention this because I think the balance on 5" N-frames is about the best there is. I never liked S&W's 4" revolvers no matter the frame size. You should try both and decide for yourself.

I will add that more than half of my handguns are revolvers. I only have one 4" S&W. It is a model 28 that I got very cheap. I hardly shoot it, but it is in my reloading room loaded up, just in case. I do have several SA revolvers and I shoot cowboy action with those. I have a few 8-shot S&W revolver that I use in ICORE and Steel Challenge too.
    My dad has a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt he let me use for awhile. I liked the gun, and thought I would get one for myself. After looking around at everything for over a year, I settled on the Cimarron gun because that is what I like.

As said in the op, it is impractical to buy that gun in that caliber, just to have a new, shiny, boomstick which won't get shot very much. Flopping over to the DA guns was trying to be more practical, to use in a caliber I already have and reload for, with the random box of ammo purchase.

I haven't stumbled across one, but is there a 10mm single action out there? No, I cain't afford no custom work of that scale.

Thanks for the info on the barrel length. I have not had an N-frame before, so didn't even think about balance.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Here are some recolver choices in 40/10mm.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    All you revolver shooters here, check out the Wildcat Valley Snubby match tomorrow, October 9th. Snub-nose revolvers w/ 3" or less barrels. The 686 is too heavy for their stated limit, but my 3" 66 will be fun to shoot. Bring out your snubbies and join the fun. The scoring is set up to favor 5-shot guns in order to offset the advantage of the 6-shot revolvers. All you guys with five or six shot snubbies should bring them out for some practice. They put on great ICORE matches. Check out the link for details:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Here are some recolver choices in 40/10mm.

Wow, whodathunk....not me, that's for sure.

Shucks darn, maybe on the used market, I could find one of those. Both Lipseys and Ruger no longer list the Blackhawk in 10mm, just the GP100 and the Redhawk. All links provided and quick search say out of stock. That 4 5/8" Blackhawk is looking good for me! Thanks for showing that!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I did consider that particular gun for awhile, but ultimately chose a big bore caliber. Researched the .44mag/special, and the .41mag/special, .454 Casull, the S&W .460 and .500. All of those are much more than I want.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    I LOVE my Alaskan in .454 Casull...and it handles the .45 Colt and .45 Colt +P very well!
    The .45 Colt +P version runs 'middle' .44 magnum numbers and fits the bill in between .45 Colt and .454 Casull very nicely, and in a very robust revolver built specifically to handle these rounds!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    You're talking apples and oranges there, comparing single-action revolvers to double-action. The grips, action, and manual of arms are completely different. You probably need to decide what you're primary goal is...is it to have something that shoots big-bore cartridges, or do you want a single-action "cowboy" gun with all that that entails? Both are legitimate wants and desires, and you won't go wrong with any of the guns that you listed...they're all fantastic...you just need to decide what the itch is that you're wanting to scratch.

The .45 Colt is an awesome cartridge...but it's full potential isn't really recognized until you start reloading for it. It's also a cartridge that yields a very quick return on investment for a reloading setup, as factory ammo is expensive but reloading it can be pretty economical.

If you really don't want to get into reloading, and you're already into 10mm/40, one of the others definitely makes economic sense. If I buy a gun, I want to be out shooting it, not watching it languish on the shelf for lack of ammo or funds to buy ammo.

If you want both the .40 bore and a single-action, the Blackhawk that others have posted could be a really good option. It's probably going to take some looking to find one, but often the hunt is half the fun!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have a major desire to have a particular gun. A short barreled single action revolver in .45 Colt. THIS one -

View attachment 228987
    k7FbMHa.jpg

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Last year, I bought the smaller Cimarron Lightning. It's a neat little pistol; but, a bit puny. I had a similar hankering for that same pistol in your original post. The ones I've seen come with a shoulder holster and an ivory handled Arkansas toothpick. I wanted a full sized Colt replica; but, like you, I didn't really want to add a new cartridge to my catalog.

I was drinkin' and surfin' gunbroker about a week before my birthday and I came across this Uberti 1873 Cattleman Doc Holliday that was packaged with a bunch of neat display pieces. It had zero bids and was sitting with a minimum bid equal to the retail price of the pistol. I thought 'what the heck' and put in the minimum bid. To my surprise, I won the auction. It is a .357 Magnum/.38 Special. All my other 'cowboy guns', an 1866 Winchester, a Hickok 1851 Navy conversion and the Lightning are chambered in .38 Special.

It came with everything in the picture including the display case and arrived at my FFL on my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!!

xwaYpIAl.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Last year, I bought the smaller Cimarron Lightning. It's a neat little pistol; but, a bit puny. I had a similar hankering for that same pistol in your original post. The ones I've seen come with a shoulder holster and an ivory handled Arkansas toothpick. I wanted a full sized Colt replica; but, like you, I didn't really want to add a new cartridge to my catalog.

I was drinkin' and surfin' gunbroker about a week before my birthday and I came across this Uberti 1873 Cattleman Doc Holliday that was packaged with a bunch of neat display pieces. It had zero bids and was sitting with a minimum bid equal to the retail price of the pistol. I thought 'what the heck' and put in the minimum bid. To my surprise, I won the auction. It is a .357 Magnum/.38 Special. All my other 'cowboy guns', an 1866 Winchester, a Hickok 1851 Navy conversion and the Lightning are chambered in .38 Special.

It came with everything in the picture including the display case and arrived at my FFL on my birthday. Happy Birthday to me!!

xwaYpIAl.jpg
    Sometimes, ya just gotta say, 'What the heck...!!!'

Ortgies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    7597 W. C.R, 800 N.
    I have a major desire to have a particular gun. A short barreled single action revolver in .45 Colt. THIS one -

View attachment 228987

That is a Cimarron Arms "Doc Holiday Thunderer". 3 1/2" barrel, 6 rounds of .45 Colt. I want it for the recoil therapy, the implied 'cool' factor, and just for fun. It is impractical to get that particular one. First is that it would be the only .45 Colt I would own, and I would not reload for it. Second is availability.

I have recently found out that there may be an alternative cartridge, the 10mm Auto. S&W is making the Model 610 -
    View attachment 228988
    A 4" barrel N-frame beauty that can handle the hottest 10mm rounds available. And, in the plus column for me, it will shoot .40S&W, which is my preferred handgun caliber, and that I reload. Could easily make 10mm reloads with my setup.

Once I started looking, I found Ruger makes this one, GP100 Match Champion -

View attachment 228990

Same basic setup as the Smith, just in a smaller frame. Least expensive one on my list, too.

The big question I have, for those who know,

Does the 10mm Auto compare to the .45 Colt at all, or is it apples and oranges? Which would have the greater recoil, and is it manageable? (I know, that one is subjective to the user) Which is the more "fun" round? Bears and deer and hogs are NOT my concern.

Hope I made sense. Thanks in advance.
    I think the 10 mm is pretty close to the 41 mag. in power and recoil; not sure about case capacity, I'm told that it's pretty stout.....might be able to load to near .45 Colt capacity..maybe a goodly nurdle of Unique (Alliant), HS-6, etc. As you're no doubt aware, watch for high pressure signs.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven

xwaYpIAl.jpg
    Booze and GunBroker=money spent

Top Bottom