• ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Should read found some old ammo....

Looking for something in my gun safe I came across an old S&W 5906 I had collecting dust in there. I moved the box and noticed a Baggie with 30 Federal 124 gr 9mm Hydra Shocks inside.

Old ammo indeed, but a welcome find. I know in the attic I have a box of old ammo such as PMC cookie cutter .357 magnum, Speer 200 gr Flying ashtray .45 auto, and some reverse wadcutter revolver loads.

Someday it will be a pleasure to take them and the family to the range for a super shoot, but for now it's still fun to find old ammo to off set the next range session.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have 38 Special Nyclads too. I have a bunch of black tip Talon / Ranger 9mm +P+ ammo I found looking for all my old 380 blammo. Never heard of Thunderzaps...
    otherdave helped me get some boxes of Hirternberger 100gr PSP +P+ loads that I love to shoot in my G19 at 1,750 FPS & they don't bounce off of windshields!!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Richard Davis and Second Chance Body Armor marketed Thunderzap ammunition but it was not invented by Rich. Bruce McArthur, Clarkston, MI was the inventor and patent holder of the ThunderZap ammunition. The ammunition was manufactured by a separate company that was made up of Bruce, Rich Davis, Karen Davis (Rich's wife of the time) and Bill Stenbeck. While the company is now dissolved, Bruce still holds all the patents on the ammunition and any other ammunition that may be constructed of the same materials.

The ammo itself is a thermo molded plastic bullet with a huge hollow cup. It was meant to be a safe round for home defense yet still have good stopping power. This ammo was ultra high velocity, 2800fps out of a 4 inch revolver. In one of his Second Chance videos Rich shot this round through 2 sides of beef strapped together. It blew a 6 inch hole through both sides of beef ribs. I had the chance to shoot a block of ballistics gel with it and it absolutely destroyed the first 3 inches of the block. This round will self destruct when it hits a wall which made it very safe in a home and you could actually catch it in your hand at 100 yards.

Why did this ammo leave the market? Many have said it was junk but in talking to some of the pros in the field it was removed for political reasons. Rich Davis was in a major battle with NIJ over vest ratings at the time and the government wanted this round to go away. Why? When it hits anything it does tremendous damage and turns into white fluff....no way in the world to get any ballistics off the bullet residue.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wow! Real stopping power! I'm surprised the Mossad / NSA-CIA didn't want some of that!! Or maybe they do have it?? Inquiring minds DON'T wanna know! Buwhahaha!!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Dang, I'll have to watch GunBroker for some of that stuff.

I need to get a few boxes of the RIP ammo. I know it sucks, but I bet in 20 years it'll be a collectible.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I forgot Nyclads, and the .22's with a snake on the box. Got a brick of that, sold my Black Talons, just kept the Speer and PMC.

Top Bottom