• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I am on a very tight budget and have been looking for plans to build one, but none I have seen seem to be very reliable or safe. The only home unit I have seen is the Harvest Right one (which by the way is $500 off for this month). It seems like a good reliable unit. I am wanting it for light prepping of course, but mostly for everyday use to make healthy snacks for my 3 small kids and soon to be 4 (we spend a ton on healthy snacks).

Does anyone own one or ever used one? I can't afford to waste that kind of money or really spend that much up front, but if it will save me money on the long run then I can justify it, plus they offer a layaway plan.

Are there any other brands out there that maybe are just less well known?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Are you a member of ar15.com forums? There is a guy (or maybe multiple people) on there with freeze dryers and there is a lot more discussion of it over there. As I recall the purchase price up-front isn't the only expensive part. They are expensive to run and do require some maintenance that isn't "cheap" either.

That being said, I suspect that just like reloading, it won't "save you money" per se, you will just end up with more freeze dried products etc because you will want to use it.

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    Are you a member of ar15.com forums? There is a guy (or maybe multiple people) on there with freeze dryers and there is a lot more discussion of it over there. As I recall the purchase price up-front isn't the only expensive part. They are expensive to run and do require some maintenance that isn't "cheap" either.

That being said, I suspect that just like reloading, it won't "save you money" per se, you will just end up with more freeze dried products etc because you will want to use it.

I am not a member there. I will see if I can search though without signing up. That definately gives me some stuff to look into before or if I do buy one. May just stick with my dehydrator!

Thank you!

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I found the threads CountryBoy19 was talking about and it answered most of the questions and concerns I had as well as some things I hadn't thought of.

Top Bottom