• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWeber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Linton
    I am trying to figure out a way to increase my case life for my 35 rem. I already anneal, and shoot sub max loads. I have read that perhaps bumping the shoulder instead of a full length resize could increase case life. I am currently giving this a try but I don't feel my numbers are correct. I'm using Hornady headspace comparator kit to measure head space. I have once fired Winchester brass. I took 1 case and full length resized it per Hornady instructions and the case measured 1.562. I then took the rest of my fired Winchester (fired from my gun) brass and measured them with the comparator and they measured 1.558. I was not expecting a smaller number! Any help in this matter would be appreciated. I am fully aware that a lot will say to full length resize a lever gun and I have read that you could bump .003 as well! Any suggestions are welcome.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How long are your cases lasting and where are they failing? Lever guns and semi autos usually don't respond well to neck sizing as the chambers are slightly oversize for feeding and chambering. Really long life can be had with straight wall cases like 44 magnum in lever guns.

SWeber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Linton
    I have not had the cases fail yet. Im trying to figure out how to get more case life out of my 35 rem, I already anneal and shoot sub max loads but if shoulder bumping will give me more life out of my brass then Im going to try it. The numbers through me off.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Like Leadeye said, neck size for bolt guns, FL everything else.
    I personally think, the under max load will do more for extending case life.
    I've got -06 from the Garand that's got probably 10 loadings onit with no signs of head separation, from under max loadings.
    The rims will let go first....or they get lost

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I shoulder bump for 7.62x54r and 7.92x57. I'm still deciding for 8x56r since it goes in a straight pull.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Could the shorter length be attributed to case expansion in the chamber and pulling the neck slighly rearward during that expansion? Then the FL die pushes the neck back "out" during the case sizing? That's the only reason I could think of.

I think the only benefit of shoulder bumping is for accuracy in bolt guns when shooting the same case in the same gun (no case expansion due to only shoulder bumping) so that is eliminated from possible variables. Remove as many variables for better accuracy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've found that neck size only works for around 3 reloads then I have to full length size with the 338 Lapua Magnum.
    That might possibly be a huge difference since the 338 LM is around 2x the pressure.
    However, I also neck size 300 Winchester Magnum, and 7mm Remington Magnum. Those do just fine. So I'm not sure why the 338 LM is different.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I've found that neck size only works for around 3 reloads then I have to full length size with the 338 Lapua Magnum.
    That might possibly be a huge difference since the 338 LM is around 2x the pressure.
    However, I also neck size 300 Winchester Magnum, and 7mm Remington Magnum. Those do just fine. So I'm not sure why the 338 LM is different.
    Could it have to do with the fact that 7 rem mag and 300 win mag headspace on the belt and 338 Lm doesn't?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have not had the cases fail yet. Im trying to figure out how to get more case life out of my 35 rem, I already anneal and shoot sub max loads but if shoulder bumping will give me more life out of my brass then Im going to try it. The numbers through me off.

Cast Boolits website is a good place for info about all things ammo, not just cast bullets. I have seen it posted, but never tried it my self, that you can neck resize 35 Remington with a carbide .357 magnum die. The poster was adjusting the size die so it just covered the case neck at the bottom of the ram stroke.

Top Bottom