• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    As I mentioned before, I'm just getting started at hunting. (Went on my first squirrel hunt this past Saturday--planning on going again this upcoming Saturday).

At the moment, the only things legal are squirrels and frogs. I'm pretty much not interested in frogs, so "what to hunt" is pretty much decided for me right now. However, soon, a number of other seasons will be opening: Ruffed Grouse and Deer Early Archery on Oct 1 (this is the only archery season I list here because I'm not ready to get into archery hunting at this time, but I list this one because I have tentative invites to "tag along"); Fox, Coyote, and Fall Turkey Firearm on Oct 15; and Pheasant, Quail, and Rabbit on Nov 7, and then, of course, "the big one" deer firearm on Nov 15.

A couple of questions:

Is it better, as a beginner to stick to one or two game animals or better to sample a variety? I'm doing squirrel now and I'm planning on trying deer when the season rolls around. Would I be well advised to consider others or just stick to those, or also try some others for variety?

Note that I don't have hunting dogs and none of my "social circle" hunts so except for what I get on groups like this one, I don't have much in the way of mentoring, advice, or hunting companions. So far, my weapons of choice are a Ruger 10/22 with a scope and a Mossberg 500 12 ga with both a vent rib barrel (screw in chokes for Mod, Imp. Cyl. and Full choke) and a cantilever rifled barrel (scope just arrived, not yet installed or boresighted).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm of the conservative lot... "do a few things, and do them well" tends to serve better than doing lots of things, and none of them well...

Of course, you realize though, that the more critters you want to hunt, the more reasons you have to purchase more firearms!

"But I need a .243 or .25-06 for coyote hunting! I need that Browning shotgun for quail/pheasant. I need a 10ga. for geese! I need that .458 Socom AR rifle for Deer (or that new .44mag lever rifle...) for the same. Etc etc etc.

In short, if it were ME in your shoes, I'd stick with tree rats and deer for the time being. And MAYBE allow myself to go on some quail/pheasant hunts, too.

-J-

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I think dove season is in :-) oh and early goose.

I always hunted a bit of everything (and frog gigging is a fun trip and frog legs are very tasty). If you can find a copy of an old out of print book at a used bookstore called Indiana Outdoors by Bill Scifres I would highly recommend it. I think every Hoosier outdoorsman should have a copy. Without dawgs grouse hunting can be tough same with pheasants or quail unless you have some really good areas that don't get much pressure. Rabbit hunting is something you can have pretty good success doing. A nice walk in the fringe areas, kicking brush. Regard your squirrel hunting as deer scouting too. You can look for tracks, rubs and scrapes while you are traipsing about. Waterfowling gets a bit more specialized (lots of equipment and have to know what to do with it) if you do the decoys and call method.

I look at it as a great way to get my butt outdoors, away from the wife (God Bless her heart) and enjoy nature.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I have several reasons for being out there.

- it's an excuse (that my body will accept) to get outside and get at least a little exercise).

- Hey, I'm an inveterate carnivore. Bringing home something tasty to eat, if I can, is a big plus.

- There's that whole "connect with nature" thing.

- I was a shooter first, hunting (provided I actually find something to shoot at ;)) is a good way of testing my shooting skill in a "practical" setting.

- Preparation against the future. Should I ever face a SHTF scenario, having developed "feed oneself" skills beforehand could be a plus.
    progress.gif
    http://www.indianasportsman.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=159197

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Have you ever shot trap??? If not, I suggest you shoot a few rounds before hunting anything that fly's. For a newbe, the supprise of a bird flushing, usually ends up in just a loud noise, and a hole punched in the air, if the shooter hasn't already established some confidance in his ability to mount, aquire target, establish appropriate lead, fire, then following through.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Another big thing to consider starting out is, what is around you? Especially starting out hunting, I think its important to at least give yourself a chance at success, so do your homework and scout the land thoroughly. You can figure out pretty quick what lives there by spending a couple days just sitting or walking it, not carrying a gun also. Once you think you're on to something, go after it when the season starts. I wish I could hunt everything, but then I have to be realistic in knowing that the 35 acres I hunt in Indiana doesn't produce everything in our seasons consistently.

Get to know the land you are around, public or private, and then pursue it if it makes your heart pump. There are many joys in hunting!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Another big thing to consider starting out is, what is around you? Especially starting out hunting, I think its important to at least give yourself a chance at success, so do your homework and scout the land thoroughly. You can figure out pretty quick what lives there by spending a couple days just sitting or walking it, not carrying a gun also. Once you think you're on to something, go after it when the season starts. I wish I could hunt everything, but then I have to be realistic in knowing that the 35 acres I hunt in Indiana doesn't produce everything in our seasons consistently.

Get to know the land you are around, public or private, and then pursue it if it makes your heart pump. There are many joys in hunting!

Well, "around me" is the various areas open to the public that are within an hour or so (emphasis on "or so" if I don't want it to be an extremely limited set) of Northwestern Indianapolis (near Eagle Creek). Public lands because I don't know anybody with huntable private land and asking strangers for permission to hunt their land? Well, let's just say I'd rather face 1000 screaming picts armed only with a rusty spoon and Emily Post's Guide to Etiquette. ;)

At this time, given what I've seen here and elsewhere, I'll probably give rabbits a try maybe. Provided I can find a location where I'm likely to find some, that would give me a chance to exercise the shotgun in the field in the same way I hope squirrels will give me a chance to exercise the 10/22 (should I have better luck finding them than I did on my first outing). And I'll probably also try deer just because the idea of a freezer full of venison (should, by some freak of fate, I actually get one--no illusions here) appeals.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I think it is great that you are wanting to get into hunting. It can be a very costly sport especially deer and waterfowl. You do not need all the fancy stuff, newest version camo or anything like that. I have shot most of my deer wearing jeans and the shirt of the day or carhart jacket. You may sign up for some of the draw loteries like at Crane or some of the other state parks. The deer in these areas see less hunting pressure and are somewhat easier to take especially for a beginner.
    Right now what I have seen about the tree rats is that they are spotty about their time od activity. Try different times in the day usually early morning is best find a big hickory tree and sit down about 20 feet from it with your back against a tree and watch or take a knap. Sooner or later they wil start moving around. I usually just watch for a while and pick out the fattest looking ones.
    Hang in there it is not near as easy as what some think it to be. But once you get the taste of it so to say you will be hooked.

AFpilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Rabbits are great in the crockpot, and lots of fun to hunt with a buddy or two. I will echo NEOCON and say for squirrels, get in early and sit. Mine love White Oaks (big oak leaf, rounded lobes), and sooner or later they will show up. Early morning is when I see them most though. As the season gets later I will tend to see them more in the hour or two or maybe even three after sunrise.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Squirrel hunting puts you where you need to be to scout deer hunting locations. Keep your eyes open after Oct. 1 for bow hunters.

Gonefishin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Just being out in the woods and getting away from everything is almost as good as being out on the lake. I took my first buck at the age of 12. I looked forward every year for deer season to get here so I could go back out with my dad. Those are times that I will never forget. Also, I will never forget the things that he drilled into my head at the yound age of 12 and it seems like most of the people that are out in the woods now days didn't have anyone to tell them what to do or they just don't have any common sense. Two things that was drilled in my head was: Always know the direction that you are shooting and what is behind the object. The most important thing is to identify what you are shooting at and make sure that you have a good, clear shot. Not identifying the target is how many people get shot while trying to enjoy a day in the woods.

I took up turkey hunting back in 1998 and finally harvested my first bird in the spring of 2000. I have been luck to harvest a long beard every year since. I have almost given up on deer hunting since I have started turkey hunting because when you get the birds talking to you it gets you going. I still deer hunt from time to time, but I await the opening day of turkey season now. If you are looking for a challenge and some excitement, try your luck at a long beard. Thank goodness that they can't smell like a deer, because they are hard enough to kill.

Top Bottom