• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I'm looking at getting one of these. Does anyone here own both? If so, which do you prefer and why? I used to have 21. I thought the grip was a little chunky, but I could live with it. I'm looking for a .45 that will conceal carry better than a 21.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You will hear opinions from everyone. Some folks can stuff a Desert Eagle down their pants and claim that it is a reasonable carry choice. Me? I've got limited real estate leftover in my pants and need all temporary residents to fit space limitations.

I had a 30 and a 36. Only the 36 remains.

The 30 shot fine, thought I never liked the way it felt in the hand: blocky, chunky and with the ergonomics of lumber. It *was* accurate but not suited for concealed carry, the way I define the term.

The 36? It needs, IMHO, Pearce +0s. I've not experienced the "pinky pinch." Mine has a few hundred rounds through it and I've seen it have a failure twice. Once, a female shoot who was on her virgin range experience of her life. Limp wristing. Once more today... I was shooting unsupported, off-hand. Again... not my norm and limpwristed. All "normal" shooting has been fine. Carry? It's a beautiful carry gun. I use a TT Gunleather IWB and carry around 4 o'clock. It can ride back there even as I drive for several hours. It made it on a round trip Indy-TN-Indy in this position with no discomfort.

It feels good in the hand.

Nothing wrong with a 30 but it is completely unsuited for my ergos and carry habits. The 36? It fits right in. For reference, my winter-time carry is a Sig 228. Summer, the G36. Pocket? Sig 290.

IMG_9509.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    G30 SF works fine for me. Just a tad wider than a G19.

Never had a need to go down to 6+1 from 10+1 (or 13+1 opt).

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. I just checked out the 30 and the 30SF at Gander Mountain. I doesn't feel like there is any difference between the two. I'd like to check out the 36. Anybody know a place that stocks them. I've tried Beech Grove, Elmore's and Gander Mountain so far.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Glock 30 vs 30 SF difference in trigger reach is 3mm (not quite 1/8", 0.12").
    Same for the 21/21 SF. One might not notice the difference unless trying them side by side.
    For some people, it's significant. For others, not so much.

Edit added detail: Another example might be putting a short trigger in a SIG P220. The difference between it and the std trigger is 7/100s of an inch in reach. Yet, it makes a dramatic difference for some people's hands. Completely changes the feel for them.

Last edited:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have a G30SF and a couple G36s. I love them both. I think for IWB, the G36 feels better, but they're both great handguns. The G36 also fits my Raven made for my G19 and G23 (so if you have a holster for a compact Glock, keep that in mind).

For me the SF makes a world of difference!

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    What's that going to do for me?

The theory behind it is that you get the capacity of the 30 with the thin slide of the 36. It DOES work, but it is NOT recommended by Glock. Now, I'm not sure if this is because of a safety issue or if they have simply not made a gun yet that combines the two, and they don't want their customers to be fondling their guns. I've read numerous interwebs stories about how people have ran hundreds and even thousands of rounds with a combination like this, so it's kinda iffy.
    Personally, I debated this same issue for a long time. I am 5'9 and have what I consider medium-smallish hands. The 30 is the best shooting semi-compact that I have shot (it should be noted that I have few guns in general). It is bulky in the hand, and it does sometimes become uncomfortable. To me, it came down to a personal WANT. I wanted more rounds on my person rather than a gun that felt a bit more comfortable. I truly believe that you can not go wrong with either.

Top Bottom