Good place in NE Indiana to get a quality Mosin???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I am planning on picking up a Mosin rifle. Both the rifle and the ammo seem inexpensive and fun.

However, I have heard that the quality of the chamber and bore are critical to a good or bad Mosin experience. I do not want to purchase over the net, because I cannot inspect the gun to verify it has a pristine bore and chamber.

Does anyone know of a store / gun shop in North East Indiana that would have Mosin's with a pristine bore & chamber. The rest can look like crap for all I care. It can be butt ugly...I just want to make sure I have a good shooter.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Cabela's in Hammond has a couple dozen, I haven't inspected them so I can't speak to their quality.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Hammond? NE?
    Call Dunham's in this area, there is a new one in Fort Wayne. The Auburn store usually has Mosin's in stock. They sell surplus tins too, last time I was there they were $99/440, not bad, and that was in more crazy times...

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Lol pristine bore. Thats funny. Mine has a nice bore. Pristine doesnt exist. Go buy one anywhere that doesnt have.pitting and shot out rifling and enjoy it. Its $150. Not $1500.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Pristine bores do exist. I picked up a super rare ex-PEM sniper at Cabela's in Hammond 2 weeks ago. It has a very nice bore and is getting a top shelf restoration job. :D

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Dunhams in Ft. Wayne has a good selection $199. Gander in Ft. Wayne has some with no counter bore $179. Wrigleys on Lima rd. might still have a few, I believe $159.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    No way I'd pay $200 for a regular old Mosin Nagant. If it had rare markings or was an ex-sniper then I might. You can find good ones just don't get in a big hurry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No where...
    Spent the $30.00.
    Get your Curio and Relics license.
    Buy online and have them sent directly to your door.
    Kiss your money goodbye. :thumbsup:

^^^This!^^^
    But even without your C&R, if you want to order online, and want to be assured you're getting a nice rifle, try Allan's Armory - http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=35 He's a little pricier than some places, but he only carries nice stuff. He has some 91/30's with laminate stocks for $180 - $200. My experience with him has been that his rifles exceed his description on his site. I would feel confident ordering from him again.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lol pristine bore. Thats funny. Mine has a nice bore. Pristine doesnt exist. Go buy one anywhere that doesnt have.pitting and shot out rifling and enjoy it. Its $150. Not $1500.

There's pristine/excellent bore Mosins out there.
    People just go too used to buying from the low cost "flood" of old used ones that had been "Arsenal Re-finished" to look new, but have actually seen considerable use.

Problem is, when a TRUE un-issued or original finished excellent one comes along, people want to pay the same price.

I know this first hand, as I tried to sell a TRULY un-issued M44 that I got back in 2000, and nobody would buy it because they wanted to pay the same as they did for the worn out, re-finished ones.

I pulled it off the sales ads rather than give it away.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Dunhams in Ft. Wayne has a good selection $199. Gander in Ft. Wayne has some with no counter bore $179. Wrigleys on Lima rd. might still have a few, I believe $159.

Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for. Somewhere local and reputable where I can inspect prior to purchase.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There's pristine/excellent bore Mosins out there.
    People just go too used to buying from the low cost "flood" of old used ones that had been "Arsenal Re-finished" to look new, but have actually seen considerable use.

Problem is, when a TRUE un-issued or original finished excellent one comes along, people want to pay the same price.

I know this first hand, as I tried to sell a TRULY un-issued M44 that I got back in 2000, and nobody would buy it because they wanted to pay the same as they did for the worn out, re-finished ones.

I'm very happy with the one I bought from you... :D

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch There's pristine/excellent bore Mosins out there.

I'm very happy with the one I bought from you... :D

Yours was one of them, and you were able to see the difference.
    I'm glad you're enjoying it! :)

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have a pristine bore mosin that I pmed you about but it does not look like you read your pms. Its for sale less then the store ones are and was hand picked through 25 other ones I went through. I also have a wood case of silver tipped bulgarian for sale with the gun for less cost then I've seen in a long time. I'm in NE ft Wayne , so not to far if you are interested.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    The ones with poor bores give Mosins a bad name. Pristine bores do exist. They bring a premium and take a lot more work to find. I have a dozen or so various models of Mosins with pristine bores and reject keeping anything less (other than my very first Mosin). They cost me from $200 for a Soviet 91/30 up to $650 for a 1969 Finnish M39. Most have appreciated SIGNIFICANTLY in only 3 years (especially my Polish M44), so I feel good about what I paid. Only my first 1945 M38 was found locally at a gun show - the rest were bought as individualy advertised rifles on web sites like Gunbroker or Gunboards Trader or Allan's Armory. I have personally never found a pristine bore in a crate of refurbs but the good ones had to come from somewhere. Seems like most of the recent imports are poor. Good luck in your quest.

My advice is don't settle for less. Be a bore snob like me!!

Les

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have a pristine bore mosin that I pmed you about but it does not look like you read your pms. Its for sale less then the store ones are and was hand picked through 25 other ones I went through. I also have a wood case of silver tipped bulgarian for sale with the gun for less cost then I've seen in a long time. I'm in NE ft Wayne , so not to far if you are interested.

The only individuals I buy from is family. Otherwise, I always buy from a dealer / store. That's just how I do business.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I am planning on picking up a Mosin rifle. Both the rifle and the ammo seem inexpensive and fun.

However, I have heard that the quality of the chamber and bore are critical to a good or bad Mosin experience. I do not want to purchase over the net, because I cannot inspect the gun to verify it has a pristine bore and chamber.

Does anyone know of a store / gun shop in North East Indiana that would have Mosin's with a pristine bore & chamber. The rest can look like crap for all I care. It can be butt ugly...I just want to make sure I have a good shooter.

Right here... AGS Armament | Bolt Action Rifles They are in Blufton, IN I have bought 4 guns and 5 AR receivers from them. One of them being the chinese Mosin. It was in very good shape. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom