• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    What is a good gun for turkey shoots? My dad use to win them all the time, but I go with my 870 and I can't ever do any good. Seems like dad use to use a Model 12......but I could be wrong.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    In today's shoot you will need at least an "extra full" choke.
    It is best to use an extended turkey choke.
    Choke tubes start around $20 & usually the tighter they are the more they cost. For 12ga. guns you can get them as tight as .640 diameter.
    You will need to find one that works best in your barrel, & you need to keep it clean because the new plastic wads will buildup on the inside of a tight choke after only a few shots changing your pattern.
    You will need to pattern your choke/barrel combination by shooting one round at a large piece of paper (I use Christmas gift wrap) at about 25 to 30 yds.
    What you are looking for is to get all the shot to hit the target centered equally around a center point in a 18" to 20" circle at 30yds.
    What turkey shoot do you attend?

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Around Madison County-----most of the "turkey/card shoots",have a choke limit at .680...
    At Fall Creek Valley C.C.--'stock guns only"---no special chokes,or barrels,no scopes,no added sights.---------Sundays around noon
    Chesterfield Legion---any sights--up to 40" barrel----they have a guage to check choke diameter--Saturdays

I havent shot in a couple of years--sooooo,there may be more(or less)shoots around--attend one,the shooters will tell you where the shoots are,and rules for each.

tallend

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I would say your Dad done good with a model 12 as several are still hot at Mitchell we have a .676 minimum rule that they check like some others have said your 870 should be fine,go to a shoot and see what the rules are?If you can buy a box of the shells they are using pattern your gun to the distance they shoot at,and try some different chokes keep us posted most guys are more than willing to help.And keep in mind that it is a shotgun a good pattern is a must and lady luck plays a role in it if I can help in anyway just let me know

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I go to the Legion shoots in Danville.....been a while though because I just didn't do any good. They provide the shells...I think they forgot the lead, lol.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The old Winchester model 37 with full choke if you have to stay in the Limited shoots.
    I think Winchester made some of the smoothest barrels and all were polished very well. I had one that put 54 shots on a card if I did my part. I shoot it in unlimited for several years also.

I guess the limited shoots give the average joe a chance to put a pellet on the X. In the unlimited classes or "Outlaw" anything goes. back boring, Metro barrels. Exteneded stuff that looks like a plumber built the barrel. 18 power AO scopes Bleeding off gass with tubes in the barrel, Porting and maybe all of the above. I like outlaw. I will admit that most chokes under .655 cause the pellets to deform and fly off patern. >655 seems to be a sweet spot with winchester AAA 7.5 shells with the black hulls. You can go to .650 with the grey shells before they deform.

Top Bottom