Got my Florida CCW today, much faster than Indiana!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    I put in my application in May and it came today. Now I can stop worrying about Ohio carry! The Fl. process was very simple and only took about 60 days from the day I sent my app.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    As Hickory said, I used a copy of my DD-214. Cost was $105 with the cost of prints ( I got mine done while on vacation down there to avoid the hassle of finding somewhere up here. $5 at Tavares Sheriffs office ) Had a left over passport photo already. All costs are listed in the link below.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/License_Fees.pdf.

You go to their website and ask for the forms. They send them free of charge. Once everything is collected up (photo, form, prints) you send it all back to them.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    The Florida process is much easier, faster, and less costly than Utah. The online Indiana DNR hunter's test is sufficent for Florida. The only reason one would want to consider going the Utah route is if you anticipated being in Minnesota often.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Indiana, particularly Marion county, is just absurd right now. I applied in march and haven't heard back yet.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I put in my application in May and it came today. Now I can stop worrying about Ohio carry! The Fl. process was very simple and only took about 60 days from the day I sent my app.

Good to hear! My wife and I both applied for FL non-resident licenses since we live very close to Ohio. We have not seen anything yet. According to the phone tracking system both of our applications are "in process". Hopefully we will be seeing our licenses soon since I have the certified mail confirmation showing that our apps were received on May 10th.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The Florida process is much easier, faster, and less costly than Utah. The online Indiana DNR hunter's test is sufficent for Florida. The only reason one would want to consider going the Utah route is if you anticipated being in Minnesota often.

Not really less costly. Let's assume you have no training.

An online hunter's safety course will run you $20.
    The Florida CCW will cost you $112.00, plus fingerprints from your local PD, call it $10.

To get FL CCW: $142.00

Utah training will cost you around $100 which generally includes fingerprinting.
    Utah CCW is $51.00

To get Utah CCW: $151.00

Renewal is REALLY where you save money.

Utah renewal: $15.

Florida renewal: $105. (Plus fingerprints again)

Finally, the Utah class is 4 hours. It takes 2-3 hours to complete the online hunter's safety (though I know you can do it from home at your leisure) and the extra 1-2 hours and the content of the Utah class is MUCH more useful than the hunter's safety content.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Not really less costly. Let's assume you have no training.

An on-line hunter's safety course will run you $20.
    The Florida CCW will cost you $112.00, plus fingerprints from your local PD, call it $10.

To get FL CCW: $142.00

Utah training will cost you around $100 which generally includes fingerprinting.
    Utah CCW is $51.00

To get Utah CCW: $151.00

Renewal is REALLY where you save money.

Utah renewal: $15.

Florida renewal: $105. (Plus fingerprints again)

Finally, the Utah class is 4 hours. It takes 2-3 hours to complete the on-line hunter's safety (though I know you can do it from home at your leisure) and the extra 1-2 hours and the content of the Utah class is MUCH more useful than the hunter's safety content.

Don't need to take the on-line hunters ed course. I took the hunters ed course in Poe, IN. It was free with a free lunch...really. We made it a family event and took my son as well for his hunters ed card. I have never been to any other hunters ed course...but ours was very good in relation to firearm safety.

Not all local PD's charge for finger prints. Decatur police don't charge anything for fingerprints. And I have been fingerprinted many times for employment as well as for my 2 LTCH's.

But I have to admit...I did not realize that the renewal was so high in FL. If I knew that prior to sending our apps in, I would have gone with Utah just for that reason alone.

Thanks for the info!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Seymour PD did my prints for free. Very friendly. Got my passport photo taken at CVS.

The state of Florida sent me a case of applications. Yes a case! We pass them out to those who want them at our NRA courses.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Getting the Fl was a no brainer for me as my DD-214 (free) sufficed for my training (paid for by your parents tax dollars I guess) and the permit is good for 7 years. I travel to Fl quite a bit so it just made sense for me.

Top Bottom