• How strong is your girp

• Total voters

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Was reading an article by Massad Ayoob in this month's GUNS magazine where he talked about the different opinions on how strong your grip should be on your handgun. It got me thinking about my own grip strength, which in turn got my wondering what everybody else's favored way is.

I decided to take a poll on this subject, but please also tell us how firmly or lightly you hold your pistol or revolver and why.

For me I prefer a pretty firm grip just to where my hands aren't shaking. For the most part it keeps me on target and helps me to control recoil much better than a lighter grip.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I hold it as tight as possible. The trick is learning to isolate your index finger, so that it is more or less relaxed, while the rest of your hand maintains tight control. There really is no way to produce accurate follow up shots if you don't keep a real tight grip.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've tried out different schools of thought. I've read Ayoob's theory on gripping right to the edge of tremors and tried it with OK results, the problem with that is it really shortens your practice time because your hands and forearms get blasted fast. I was once told to think of it like a handshake. You want to be somewhere between a knuckle popping bricklayer and the high school choir teacher. So, I grip it firmly, but not to the point it is uncomfortable. Of course the firearm and type of shooting also will dictate the grip as well

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If I'm just static shooting (plinking paper) and two handing it (no training intended) then my primary hand is somewhat light. For some reason I'm better able to isolate the trigger finger that way. Otherwise, my grip tightens considerably.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I saw a show one time where Rob Leatham also advised to hold until you are almost shaking. I hold tight, but not that tight.

I think the trick is to hold on tight, but not try to control the recoil too much. The gun is going to recoil. No matter how hard you hold it, you're not going to stop it. So concentrate on sight picture and trigger control and let the gun do it's thing.

That's why my EDC is a .45/70 derringer. OK, not really.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I hadn't really thought about it till now. I guess the handshake comparison is what I would say, not too firm but not too light. I Have noticed my stance changing on what is comfortable and more accurate for me, so I may look at this next time I go to the range.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    For me grip is proportional to recoil. The grip I use when shooting my Ed Brown ET .45 is much more than when shooting 5 & 10 meter air pistol matches. One thing I do is use a Gripmaster any time I am watching TV or relaxing. I use the red one for high reps and the black for low rep/high resistance.
    Gripmaster

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I keep a very tight grip, as tight as possible. But it's also important to keep your entire body tight as well, from your arms through to your core. There is A LOT that goes into shooting a pistol well and some things may vary person to person, but be consistent as it is something that is easy to neglect.

Keeping physically fit is also a major advantage as well.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I dont think the squeeze is as important as hand position. Im thumbs forward *not me*
    ToddJarrettUSPSASteelChallenge.JPG

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Personally I've always used a pretty strong grip. Not to the point of shaking, but strong enough that there is no way the recoil is gonna make me drop the thing and still keep the same sight picture as much as possible. Then again I've never really thought of it all that much.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Good topic. I hadn't really thought about it too much. I voted in the middle, but I will be sure to study this on the next range trip.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i find that (limp-wristing) leads to more variation within MY groups at a range of 7-10 yards. A tight, firm, and well controlled firearm leads to a more consistent patten for me.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Brian Enos's book says to hold about as tight as you would if you are gripping a hammer (he usually says to try everything and see what works best for you though). In any case, the hammer thing seems to work best for me.
    The other thing, I prefer shooting a heavy gun like a 1911, I wonder if gun weight and particular ammo recoil effects either ideal grip pressure or the sensitivity of performance to grip pressure.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    One thing that contributes to this is your exercise program. Wrist curls (forward and reverse) and other grip strengthening exercises really improve ones ability to grip a handgun more firmly while decreasing the "side effects" like tremors, fatigue, etc.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm surprised so many of you either don't think about it or use a relaxed grip. I thought this would be 100% tight grip thread. I believe if you don't grip it very firm, you have no control of your shots, especially for follow up. The whole point of the two thumbs forward is to get an even firmer grip by having both palms in contact with the grip, so that you can push them together and not have to squeeze with your trigger hand so much. When shooting with one hand, anything short of a very firm grip is limp wristing, and can even cause the gun to malfunction. So I don't think it is even worth discussing whether you should grip it tight--tighter than a firm handshake at least. Maybe the hammer analogy applies well, but I'd recommend tighter than that as well--as high and tight as you can comfortably get without shakimg or pain.

What I do think is more up for debate is whether you should keep your elbows locked straight and firm while shooting. I usually do, but can shoot accurately at close range with bent elbows. It could be argued that holding the pistol close in allows a better view of the sights I suppose. Steven Seagal shoots with bent elbows always and trains officers that way, but I'm not so sure about that.

Top Bottom