• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Best stuff for those bastages is Sevin Dust. After dark, sprinkle a couple tablespoons into and around the entrance hole. As they come and go they track it in and it kills the ENTIRE colony dead.
    I just did this about a week ago. The activity wasn't heavy, so I was able to sprinkle some dust during the day when I first noticed them.
    I never got stung by this colony, but I mow over the hole every week.
    Sevin Dust has been like GOLD DUST for me. :thumbsup: Always keep some around.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I see. I need to be more observant, I guess.
    I’ve noticed there are a couple of different type of people who live in the woods. Those who build houses in the woods and rarely venture into the woods, or even indeed, outside of the house much beyond the lawn. Not judging here, it’s still better than living in the city. And then there are folks like Leadeye and I who spend as much if not more time deep in the woods off of any trails than we do in the house. I am endlessly fascinated by nature, and a lifetime of observing it will only have taught me a fraction of what there is to learn.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have one in one of my hay bale stacks. I was curious to see that particular one this close to the beehives. I had wondered if the competition from our bees would have forced them away. Like most things in nature, yellowjackets have their place. But that place is not around where I have to work all the time. This particular nest I’m going to wait until we have a cold morning to take apart. It makes wearing the bee suit, a lot more tolerable, especially with an extra layer underneath. Flames and chemicals are not applicable here. I had a huge nest right next to the house that took me a while to get rid of.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have one in one of my hay bale stacks. I was curious to see that particular one this close to the beehives. I had wondered if the competition from our bees would have forced them away. Like most things in nature, yellowjackets have their place. But that place is not around where I have to work all the time. This particular nest I’m going to wait until we have a cold morning to take apart. It makes wearing the bee suit, a lot more tolerable, especially with an extra layer underneath. Flames and chemicals are not applicable here. I had a huge nest right next to the house that took me a while to get rid of.

Can you take pics, while wearing the bee suit?

:dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Good stuff, I have used it for years when yellow jackets get into sensitive areas. Go out at night and just squirt some of the dust into the hole, in a few days the colony is dead.

Not as dramatic as fire, which after you get stung by surprise I think we all want to use for the revenge factor. ;)

ace_7147564.jpg

Last edited:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    A ground bee's nest will have 2 holes. Locate them both. Drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of two 5 gallon buckets. About dark do a heavy mix of Dawn and hot water in 2 other buckets. I fill about 3/4 of the bucket with hot water, add 1 cup of Dawn and stir. Try not to make suds. Center as well as you can the nest holes with the bucket holes. Fill both buckets with the mix. It does pretty good on fire ants too.

Top Bottom