• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Well folks, I Finally joined the AR Family. Yup, I broke down & purchased a Ruger AR 556. Now I need some handload info. I have an abundance of 55g FMJ bullets (I was already In the .223 Remington Family). Can I expect decent accuracy from sending these 55g bullets down the AR 556 barrel? If so, any suggestions on Powders & quantities. I've done some investigating & have seen that Heavier bullets are suggested for the Bbl Twist in my Ruger. Would prefer to use the bullets I have Before investing in Heavier, but still want Accuracy. No sense loading the 55g-ers, if they wont't be "On the Paper."
    Thanks for any/all input.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I run the 55gr fmjbt bullets with 25.5gr of blc-2 with decent results out of my budget build. Pretty much can put 2" groups at 100 yards together, with an occasional flier. Thats probably more me than anything though. Good enough for plinking. Didnt see much adavantage running a hotter charge so to save powder i continue to run that load for my plinking rounds. Im sure others will be along shortly

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Heck, load up a few and try them out. My AR556 seems to prefer bullets in the 55 to 64 gr neighborhood. Matter of fact, the magazine stuck in it right now is stuffed full of Hornady 55 soft points.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I shoot 55gr and, load the same, out of my Ruger all of the time with good results. This setup shoots as well as anything I own other than my bolt actions with long barrels. The twist on the ruger is 1:8 which will handle 55 or 65 grain bullets quite well. You could probably even go a bit lighter and a bit heavier on the bullets if you wish. I just stick with 55gr for pretty much all of my AR's to simply my life :>)

Ron

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If the ruger is an 8 twist as said above, it'll should shoot those 55s just fine based on weight alone. Of course there's always that small chance that for whatever reason, your bbl won't like whatever combo you put together.

As far as powder suggestions, if you are using a powder drop, try h335.
    Meters great, and it's the canister grade equivalent to the powder .mil uses in the m193 loads.

H322 also worked great for me in 55s, but it's a stick powder, and doesn't meter as accurately as the 335. I got sub moa with 322 and 55gr nosler varmageddon hp's.

From my research, 322 was THE powder used in the benchrest comps back in the day before a lot of these new powders were on the market.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    As far as powder suggestions, if you are using a powder drop, try h335.
    Meters great, and it's the canister grade equivalent to the powder .mil uses in the m193 loads.

The H335 sounds like a powder I would like to try. Thanks for the info.

BTW.. I do get to Indy every now and then.. any good suggestions where to pick this up?

Ron

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Cabelas in Noblesville, Indiana gun club in Fishers (Beware their goofy hours), bobcat armament in Shelbyville.

Sw side has bradis, Plainfield shooting supplies, and possibly others I've forgotten.

I gotta believe there's someone closer to you who has it though. It's a pretty commonly used powder.

Edit: If you're near Louisville, try bass pro in Clarksville or ask indiucky where the reloading shops are at down there as he's more local.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    A 1in8 twist generally like a heavier bullet......powder 1st choice IMR 8208 2nd choice IMR 4895 / h335

Projectile try 69 grain Sierra matchkings......77s might shoot better.....the Hornadays are cheaper and may do you just as well.....but to really wake that AR up, try the heavier bullets

Top Bottom