• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well with young kids prime frog gigging time is difficult to schedule. So we find ourselves out at less than ideal times. Early/late morning usually.

Yesterday we managed 3 realizing most are out of reach of the shore today we’re switching from gigs to pellet rifle and kayak recovery team. In anticipation (wishful thinking) of our very successful harvest given the new fail proof tactics.

What is everyone’s favorite batters, cooking methods, recipes? I know the lightly flour salt + pepper pan fry. Curious if anyone does anything wild smoking? Grilled? Papaws old family breading recipe?

Apply purple where deemed necessary.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    One of the places I worked at during college, the all-purpose fish breader was 2 parts flour, 2 parts breadcrumbs, and 1 part Trio instant mashed potato mix, seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss the frog legs in that, then sautéed with chopped garlic and finished with a little white wine and/or lemon juice. House Autry is also a great brand of fish breader.

We experimented with grilling frog legs and they came out ok, but I liked sautéed better.

ETA, if you're in a kayak, a small hook, either bare or with a small piece of yarn attached, on a long rod was my favorite way to catch frogs. Dangle it in front of the frog and they will often strike at it. If not, they will usually hold still, allowing you to set the hook as it touches them.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That was one of my favorite activities when I was a kid. We went at night with a flashlight and air gun (rifle or pistol).

Such great memories....and great memory making on your part!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Post 58

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

Post 58

I do my best to get my kids out. Some days it doesn’t seem like enough, can’t keep up with all the negative but I will keep on keeping on. Hopefully they will look back on these memories with the same fondness as you.

Top Bottom