• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Ehhh...I did have a similar experience at a local shop. I purchased a "new" STI Spartan at full retail, which at the time was $660. (Sidebar: nice 1911 for the money.) What with one thing and another, I didn't have a chance to fool with it for a couple of days. Then I field stripped it and started to look it over prior to cleaning it...and lo and behold, it wasn't exactly in new condition. You could see discoloration on the breech face and when I looked in the barrel, holy s**t - seriously leaded, like someone had been firing a lot of wadcutters through it and hadn't cleaned it.

Not wanting to fly off the handle, I took the piece to another store where I'd done business and asked them to take a look - is this a new gun, etc. The guy there looked for five seconds and said no way this is new, the barrel's filthy and the breech face shouldn't look like this on a new gun, because a couple of proofing rounds wouldn't leave this much discoloration. Nice piece, but...not new. So I took it back to the original shop, which had three or four other customers there at the time. Owner said Hi, howya doing, etc...I said, well, I've got a problem - the Spartan you sold me as a new gun isn't a new gun. I haven't fired it or cleaned it, take a look - this isn't right. So he looked and came up with some bull**** about how somebody else at the store must have taken it out to do target shooting. I said fine, but then it's not a new gun, I paid for a new gun and you need to make this right. He had another Spartan in stock which he traded me for the original one, and I field stripped it on the spot and checked the barrel with a bore light - it was clean and pristine, in other words new. He reworked the paperwork to account for the different serial numbers and I was satisfied, he made it right.

(Leaving aside that if one of MY employees had done something like that, he'd have been gone so fast it would have taken a week for his posterior to catch up with him. Borrowing a new gun from under the counter to go target shooting? Um, no. You want to shoot that new gun, buy it. Kind of like a car salesman borrowing a new Corvette off the lot for a weekend drive to Vegas, bringing it back, rolling the odometer and selling it as a new car.)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I didn't really think I was all that far wrong in how I handled the situation. It isn't my first rodeo. I did want to see if anyone else had some thoughts on it. There was a chance I was not looking at it correctly.

I live in Elkhart which to those that don't know is close to South Bend and in the Michiana area as they call it.

Also, since so many asked the name of the enterprise it's DKN Manufacturing in Mishawaka, Indiana

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have one question. Is the guy just a gunsmith or does he also run a gun store? The reason for the question is if the guy is a gunsmith but gets a good price from the dealer and just orders them for friends as a favor then I may see it differently. If the guy is making a profit off selling the gun and does this for a living then his reaction and request of you were insane and never speaking to him again sounds like a good plan.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    He is primarily a gunsmith. He also buys and sells guns. He goes to gun shows to buy and sell, and also to advertise his gunsmithing service. He buys his weapons wholesale just like any other gun dealer. I don't see how there is that much difference between his operation and a soley retail gun sales outlet.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    After I refused to complete the purchase he got ahold of Charter Arms and they agreed to drop ship a new one out to him sometime next week. He wanted me to come back down and pay for the weapon ahead of time. He said he needed the money for some personal business. To his credit he quoted me a price and when they raised the wholesale price on him he didn't charge me the extra because we were friends. I told him I didn't want to give him money ahead of time based on the fact the last "new" charter looked literally terrible, and i didn't want to be forced to accept something I wasn't pleased with. I also told him I didn't like the fact he tried to forcearm me into purchasing the other gun when it clearly wasn't what we ordered just so he could complete his purchase. This is when the dookie hit the fan between us. Was I wrong to not go ahead and pay him ahead of time?

Not at all. You did the RIGHT THING :twocents:

Top Bottom