Heating Costs - How do you heat your home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I've looked at the outdoor wood furnaces from Central Boiler. It is a multi-day burning "shed" that gets heat to your central air and water heater via insulated pipes. This seems like the easiest retrofit for wood burning in a house not designed for it. I wonder if it would be hard to use the same loop for going through the solar water heater to do hot water only in the summer, without wood burning, and assist with pre-heating the return in the winter. The price is a little steep, at about $5k to start.

The only thing that I do not like about woodstoves outside of the home, is that you are absolutely reliant on electricity.

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan, and a lot of people I know up there went to the outdoor system, because there is a lot less cutting and splitting involved with the fire.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only thing that I do not like about woodstoves outside of the home, is that you are absolutely reliant on electricity.

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan, and a lot of people I know up there went to the outdoor system, because there is a lot less cutting and splitting involved with the fire.

True. I guess if you had radiant heating and just needed a circulating pump, you could get by with solar and battery pump system fairly cheaply.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I've looked at the outdoor wood furnaces from Central Boiler. It is a multi-day burning "shed" that gets heat to your central air and water heater via insulated pipes. This seems like the easiest retrofit for wood burning in a house not designed for it. I wonder if it would be hard to use the same loop for going through the solar water heater to do hot water only in the summer, without wood burning, and assist with pre-heating the return in the winter. The price is a little steep, at about $5k to start.

Looks good, I especially like the A coil heat dispersement using existing furnace and ductwork. I live in a log cabin, metal roof with 0 roof cuts. The propane furnace is HE with outside air and cool exhaust. Basically, a squirrel with a match heats the house :rolleyesedit: Not my favorite but it is allegedly efficient.

The cost on these puppies is the killer. My electricity fails more in the summer than the winter. I am also looking at a LP generator for those failures. It only takes money ;)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The cost on these puppies is the killer.

That was my decision as well. It is cool, but the system takes so many years to pay back the investment.

The pallet burner would be a great idea for a large place with many buildings. So many places around Indy will give you pallets for free if you pick them up. Much easier than chopping firewood. Occasionally clean out the left over metal that didn't burn.

Top Bottom