• ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well Ive always been a derringer fan, but the style really hasnt changed-
    Load two...cock the hammer fire, cock the hammer fire!
    Now I know their has been a few variants of the design but nothing really ground breaking.

I started following the info/shot show videos of the Heizer Defense DoubleTap and was a bit curious, but without actually finding one the fascination kind of lessened.

So when I found one, I had to grab it and mark it off my list! (Plus, its my Father's Day gift to me)

DoubleTap™ Specifications*:
    Caliber: .45 ACP, 9MM
    Weight:14 oz Titanium (empty), 12 oz Aluminum (empty)
    Width: .665 inches
    Length: 5.5 inches
    Height: 3.9 inches
    Barrel: 3.0 inches

The DoubleTap is a strange looking beast!
    It fits well in my hand, its extremely thin, and even though it has a bit of weight, it feels good in either the front or back pocket of my cargo shorts.
    (What I mostly wear)

The trigger pull is long, yet extremely smooth due to their "unique" trigger system. The sides are smooth-a no snag design!

Given the fact that you can easily swap barrels with one pin, the frame itself is marked "multi" caliber. Curious to see if they come out with more calibers in the future.

Couple of the downfalls I see are the fact that one, its only a 2-shot derringer and two, the price tag is not for the faint of heart.

If you want to check out some of the shot show videos, just about all the available information is located on their site. Here is the link:
    DoubleTap Defense - Creators of DoubleTap™

Havent made it to the range yet, and that will be the ultimate test but I look forward to see what this thing can do.

The Box: Love the wording on the box! Tactical Pocket Pistol?
    qnme5k.jpg

33ol2yh.jpg

Here what comes in the box: (Minus the ammo)
    5kkt38.jpg

Some Size comparison pics: Microstream, Leatherman, Iphone 4
    2mm7lsx.jpg

72dr8m.jpg

ir8fvb.jpg

Random shots:
    20ib529.jpg

30hxba0.jpg

2rclonm.jpg

rvepnn.jpg

6fs8le.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Range Report!
    So I had a chance to make a quick stop at the range before we took off to the lakes for the weekend. So my time frame was about an hour.
    I was shooting indoors and the distance was about 10-15ft.
    I wanted to test the function of it more than the accuracy.

Ammo: I brought 5 types of ammo to try-:D
    PMC 115gr FMJ
    RWS 124gr FMJ
    American Eagle 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr Hydra Shok JHP
    UltraDefense USM49mm 50gr JHP

The DoubleTap fired everything without issue. Primer strikes were deep and consistant. I had absolutely no issues when it came to the function of this unique firearm. Trigger pull is long, yet very smooth.

Here are some of my personal thoughts:
    This is truly a "Belly Gun"-"Last Resort" type of firearm.
    Being as thin as it is, getting a good grip is key! (I will have to admit that it will take a bit to get use to)
    If you are recoil sensitive, this may not be the gun for you. I have the 9mm model, and it does have a "Snap" to it. I could not imagine trying to shoot the 45acp.
    This is not a range gun!

Looking at the target, it does have some "flip" to it, mine is the non-ported barrel, having the ported version should help. However, getting decent groups with this double shot/over under is possible.

So for the times where extreme concealment is the only way, this may be an option. Better to have 2 than nothing at all. For what it is designed to be its a good shooting design!

21edstj.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the review! Like kawtech said, it's piquing my interest... more than I thought it would. A true hold out pistol. :)

Right now I carry my Ruger LCR in my back pocket at work. It does OK but somtimes it feels a bit bulky. Although this would be sacrificing capacity I think for what I want it for it would be great.

I just wish it weren't so expensive.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I was wondering how heavy the trigger pull is. I was considering this for a carry gun for the wife, but she has limited finger strength. I'm also nosey about the street price.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I have no way to measure the trigger pull, it is long but very smooth.
    Looking at the Guns & Ammo Review Link: Palm-Size Two-Shooter: The Heizer DoubleTap Review - Guns & Ammo

"Pull weight is a consistent 10 to 11 pounds, about the same as a smooth-tuned medium-frame DA revolver"

Now besides the Uncle Mikes Nylon holsters there really isnt anything out there on the market just yet. The pocket holster is ok but I wanted something a little more custom-like leather or kydex.

Well Grindstone Cutlery hooked me up with a nice appendix carry kydex holster for the DoubleTap! He does great work and the turnaround time is literally the next day. As you can imagine this thing is super easy to conceal and carry.

a2voth.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have no way to measure the trigger pull, it is long but very smooth.
    Looking at the Guns & Ammo Review Link: Palm-Size Two-Shooter: The Heizer DoubleTap Review - Guns & Ammo

"Pull weight is a consistent 10 to 11 pounds, about the same as a smooth-tuned medium-frame DA revolver"

Now besides the Uncle Mikes Nylon holsters there really isnt anything out there on the market just yet. The pocket holster is ok but I wanted something a little more custom-like leather or kydex.

Well Grindstone Cutlery hooked me up with a nice appendix carry kydex holster for the DoubleTap! He does great work and the turnaround time is literally the next day. As you can imagine this thing is super easy to conceal and carry.

a2voth.jpg
    Thanks for the info and the link. If I see one around for sale, I'll have the little woman test it out.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    This would be great for a long bike ride on a hot day. I hate looking like a bicycle cop when I'm in minimal clothing with a mid sized .45 on my hip. I will have to keep an eye out for one. Great post doglb!

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I got an unported 9mm and let me tell you--the recoil, even in 9mm, is brutal. I thought I would get a ported .45 ACP barrel later. Now I'm not so sure. Hopefully I'll be able to try out someone else's .45 before I invest in a second barrel.

:stretcher:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the first real change I have seen and liked in the derringer concept. I have a Davis for pocket carry in .38 and it is a hand full to shoot due to the poor design.
    This is on my list.

Just a remark on recoil.....if you have to use this for its intended purpose you will not even notice the recoil.

Top Bottom