• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There is a small little hand held primer pocket swagger/cleaner that is great for cleaning the primer pockets. Even if you deprime before you tumble the brass, the primer pocket is so small the normal media can’t do an effective job of always getting the pockets clean. If you deprime after tumbling some of the material in the primer anvil will always remain and can be transferred to the primer seating button. Disclosure - I don’t own a Dillon but have seen this on an RCBS and a Hornady so I am assuming it can be a universal problem.

The little pocket swager is really more of a cleaner than a swager. It’s simply held between your thumb and index finger, inserted into the shallow primer pocket, and twisted 3-4 times. If your anal about the problem, you could tumble, deprime, and then take a bunch of cases and sit watching tv and clean the pockets before reloading. I’d rather do that than stop every 4 or 5 cases and check the seating punch and/or giving the primer seating components a spray with air.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    Don't clean the cases until after depriming. My initial cleaning with dirty cases is with hot soapy water before depriming. I use a plastic 1 gallon jug with hot water and soap, place a lid on, and shake the heck out of it. Rinse with hot water, shake the water out of the jug, put shell cases in an old clean towel, pull the corners up on towel and shake again. Then I turn the cases upside down and leave to drain for several days in a reloading block. I then deprime and tumble.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    The problem was dirt on the primer punch. I’d clean it but had to learn how quickly (5-10 rounds) it would pick up a piece of dirt.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I use a can of compressed air used for cleaning computer keyboards. Every so often, I will check the primer punch and clean off the stray flake or two of powder. Keeps the primers from getting those dents.

Top Bottom