• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I need some advise on powder...I am working on a load for a 38 Smith and Wesson ..I am using 2.6 gr. of Clays universal and a 158 gr. SWC Cast lead Bullet, that gives me a velocity of about 625 fps .according to my chronograph. I am seeing little grains of powder inside the barrel and inside the casing after firing it ?? Is the powder burn rate to slow ??? I have some Tight Group and according to the burn chart it is a faster burning powder. Any Suggestions are appreciated.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Universal clays is a slower powder. Good stuff, but you may not be able to build the pressure for a clean burn. 625 sounds pretty good for the stubby little .38 S&W. I would probably give TiteGroup a try. What diameter are you sizing your bullets? Something like .361"? Too loose of bullet in that slightly over sized bore does not help burn pressure either.

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    Yea..I was kinda thinking about 550 fps. but it felt good when I shot it. But I think I will try the tight group. And yes the bullet is .358 I think, I shoot it in my 38 special and I have alot of them so I hate to buy bullets for the S&W. I will just go with what I have if it shoots ok.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I'd recommend Unique, Red Dot, or W231 over TG any day.

In any case, the charges will be roughly 2 grains (unless you use Unique which will be a little more). Most powder measures are just about useless when the charge weight gets that light.

If the revolver is a break-top, try to keep the load/velocity down in the 500 to 550 fps range. I use the Hornady 140 grain Cowboy Action bullets meant for the 38 Special.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hi Parson. Win 231 does work great in the .38 special. The .38 S&W looks a lot like a .38 spl but the case is about 1/2 as long. They are stubby little revolver cartridges, and for the most part, obsolete. You can still get ammo, but it is pretty hard to find.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I know this is a little like pointing out the sun comes up in the east BUT, loads for 38 S&W Special would very likely result in catastrophic failure if loaded in a 38 S&W. :oldwise:

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I went with the Titegroup because that's what I have and I thought it would work fine. I hate to buy a pound of powder for the load. I used 1.8 gr. of the tight group and the 158 gr. SWC which again I have a lot of because of the 38 Special I have. Across chronograph it shot about 550 fps. which I didn't think was to bad.

I did check into ammo for the gun but I like playing with this stuff.It is available but kind of on the expensive side I think.

Top Bottom