• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    Okay, I am wanting to buy a boat, but I do not have much knowledge of boats, to be more specific, what they are worth. I am looking for a ski/fish. I want something that is fast enough to pull a skier, but has a trolling motor and flat deck up front for fishing. I would also like to be able to fit 6 people.

I am interested in a 1999 smokercraft promag 182. They guy is asking 5900. It has a 125 merc. It appears to be very clean and well taken care of. The trailer is a 2011 with a fold back hitch.

Any thoughts? Is there something out there that would be better for me? Is that a good price? I am wanting to keep it under 7k. I am selling my motorcycle, for sale on the non-firearms related classified on here (2002 Roadstar), to pay for the boat, so if you guys know of anything I am up for a trade.

Thanks for the help!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Nada is always a good source of information for used boat values. Generally speaking a 18 foot boat with a 100+ hp outboard will pull someone out of the water with 3 other <200 lb adults onboard. A new trailer is a great sweetner. A traditional boat transaction comprises of an inspection (check for cracks, separation of inner hull from stringers, "soft spots," engine compression, a sample of engine oil and lower unit oil to look for metal and water), and a sea trial to make sure the boat handles as it should and doesn't take on water/break down/spontaneously combust. Thats a basic primer on buying boats. When buying used, I always buy a boat for its hull and assume that sometime during or after the first season I will be replacing the motor with something under warrantee. Spend one weekend paddling a boat out of a swamp and you'll be thinking newer is better when it comes to motors.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    First start off here. You would know the extras and specs. on the boats better than I would guessing at them.
    1999 Smoker-Craft Inc 182 PRO MAG - 18' Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides

I personally haven't heard of this make, but did a little google search and saw some pictures of it.

You are like my husband and I looking for the perfect family/fishing boat. It's a compromise on all sides. I wanted something deep enough for the grandbabies compared to the bassboat he had. He wanted something small enough to still get in the smaller lakes. We came up with at 18.5 foot ProCraft. It has five seats in the cockpit area and two bow seats. A fishing deck in the back and front, with trolling motor. It's powered by a 150 Mercury outboard motor.

Depending on how big your skier is and how loaded down your boat is, will depend on if the 125 will be big enough. We slalom ski and it's harder to get a skier out of the water and if we have a boat full of people it can't get my husband up. He's really tall but skinny about 185#. Changing prop size has helped some. We have a stronger hole shot but have lost some top end speed by changing the pitch on the prop.

There are two main things to look at when buying a boat. Make sure the motor is really sound. That is the most expensive part of the boat. Either have a mechanic check the motor over or if you are knowledgeable enough do a compression test on all the cylinders. Do not take his word for it, or go by listening to the motor. Not even if you go out in the boat. The only true way is to do a compression test on the cyclinders. Also crack the lower units oil plug and check the oil for murkiness(cloudy white)and metal shavings. Murky tells you water has gotten into the lower unit and metal shavings tells you to run in the opposite direction.

I'm sure there are some other words of wisdom I'm forgetting but that's what I have for now.

Oh Snap, Remembered one thing already. Do not skimp on lifejackets. Water safety is to be taken very seriously.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Boat- n.- 1. A big hole in the water you throw money into. 2. Break Out Another Thousand.

That said, the 125 Merc is a decent motor. I had one on my first bass boat, a 1999 Procraft. Mercs are a little cold natured. It will take a minute to start it first time of the day. After they warm up, they will run good.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I know a guy whos been trying to sell a boat for quite a while, therefore he would probably work with you. Give him a call. He will give you a sweet deal, I swear to God he will.

baker.jpg

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks for all of the posts so far. A lot of help on what to check for when buying the boat, plus it was nice to get a little shout out from Donny Baker buddy, I swear to God it was. Is there a way to dop a compression test myself?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Thanks for all of the posts so far. A lot of help on what to check for when buying the boat, plus it was nice to get a little shout out from Donny Baker buddy, I swear to God it was. Is there a way to dop a compression test myself?

It's simple to do, if you have a compression meter. You remove the spark plug and screw in the meter tip, turn the motor over a couple times and check the reading. You do this for each cyclinder. Where are you located?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I am located in Indianapolis

Well I'd loan you mine, but I'm 1 1/2 hours south of Indy. Wouldn't be worth it. I don't think they are that expensive. You can pick them up from an auto parts shop.

I got to looking at the pictures I googled last night. Is this an aluminum boat? If it is, then the 125 Merc should be sufficient unless your going to have a full boat of adults and trying to pull a skier. The aluminum hull is lighter than our fiberglass hull.

Good Luck, boat ownership is great, and like any hobby it will cost you some money. Our enjoyment of our boat is worth the cost.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Two things; All of the anti-boat jokes in my opinion are not true. I've owned boats for about 35 years and like anything mechanical requires proper upkeep. Get behind the curve and yes it can get expensive. I've owned my current boat,
    1998_regal_destiny_200_9032315.jpg
    for 11 years now and other than regular oil changes the only other maintenance expense has been replacing the batteries twice, once as preventative maintenance and once because they died on me over the winter.

Do your research and use the head on your shoulders when you buy and you should be fine. Biggest thing is don't compromise, make the decision what you want/think will serve your purpose and hold out for it. The worst boating decision I've seen is buying too much/too little boat for it's intended use.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Fem, I would double check your bellows, they are usually due to be changed every 5 yrs or so. Store your motor down to help save them.

If you change your bellows do the gimbal bearings at the same time.

Gear lube every year and impeller every other year.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    It's simple to do, if you have a compression meter. You remove the spark plug and screw in the meter tip, turn the motor over a couple times and check the reading. You do this for each cyclinder. Where are you located?

I showed my husband your post and he told me to edit the compression check answer I gave you to give a little more detail.

When doing a compression test remove all the spark plugs and make sure to disconnect the ignition system, so not to damage the power packs or switch boxes. Also disconnect the fuel system before starting the test. You can do a compression test without doing this but it is harder on the battery and there is a chance the motor will start.

If any of the cyclinders are more than 10 to 15 psi difference on that size motor you will be looking at engine trouble in the near future.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Fem, I would double check your bellows, they are usually due to be changed every 5 yrs or so. Store your motor down to help save them.

If you change your bellows do the gimbal bearings at the same time.

Gear lube every year and impeller every other year.

I've been lucky on the bellows so far, but yes they are on the list for this year. I do store it indoors with the outdrive down and although it's probably more mental than actual I'll hose them down on the outside at least, with armor-all. Don't know if it works but they are eleven years old with no "visible" stressing.

Top Bottom