• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am headed out on Friday to our property to deer hunt for the weekend. Got my deer rifle all sighted in and ready to go two weekends ago.

But now, my wife asked me to take her friend's husband with us. He has deer hunted before, but does not have a deer rifle. So I am setting him up with the only other deer caliber rifle I have in the armory. Suppressed 300BLK AR with 9" barrel.

Problem is, I have not had a chance to sight it in at 100 yards (my normal zero). So I have to go to an indoor range this evening to try and work out a zero at 25 yards (max bay depth).

So....my question is, if I get it all sighted in at 25 yards using 150 grain Winchester Deer Season XP (1900 FPS at muzzle), what should my approximate hold over/under be at 100 yards?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Knowing the distance between your scope & barrel (bore offset) is the missing quantity here.
    Usually that's between 1" and 3" - AR pattern rifles are often 2.5"

How confident are you in that muzzle velocity out of a 9" barrel?

There can be lots of other details for much further distances, but @ 100y that bore offset & muzzle velocity will be the biggest factors w/ a 25y zero.

for a 25y zero, 1900fps
    bore offsetapprox Point of Impact from Point of Aim
    1"-1"
    1.5"+0.5"
    2.0"+2.0"
    2.5"+3.5"
    3"+5.0"

You can get approximations with much more detail if you have info like the bullet's BC (some manufacturers provide, some are super secretive)

Zero @ 25y, then dial in the number of inches (probably DOWN) for the appropriate offset.
    Now you're well within minute-of-deer, point & shoot.

Last edited:

M.Cain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Little late to the thread, but a rifle used to deer hunt in Indiana has to have a 16 barrel (minimum) I do belleave.

It can be a pistol in a legal caliber and you have a license to carry .And the friend still needs a resident deer firearm license. I hunt with a moa pistol 14" barrel in 308 and my 2" screw on brake does not count as overall length ether .

Top Bottom