• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Safari land is the only company that uses the pus button ALS system than I'm aware of. I'm not a holster guru, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Glock 17 with TRL-1HL. This will not be duty, it will be my EDC. I don't care about it showing, but would like it not to catch on everything I walk by for the first week. I believe I want a high ride to make it easier to pull a shirt over.

Point me in the right direction.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Safari land is the only company that uses the pus button ALS system than I'm aware of. I'm not a holster guru, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Glock 17 with TRL-1HL. This will not be duty, it will be my EDC. I don't care about it showing, but would like it not to catch on everything I walk by for the first week. I believe I want a high ride to make it easier to pull a shirt over.

Point me in the right direction.

Alien Gear has an alternative similar to the ALS system. Same type features such as button release, hood for rmr, and lvl 2 or 3 retention options.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Safariland 6378 is what you want. The paddle attachment is nice and holds onto your belt/pants real well. Holds it nice and tight to your body.
    I would avoid the high ride option. These holsters are far from concealable. High ride would just make the holster more too heavy and want to lean out.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    7378-7TS for no optic:

7378 RDS-7TS is the one you want if you’re running a dot sight:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I looked a bit last night. Alien gear makes a slim holster that looked interesting. It has a mount that hooks to the belt, then the holster pops in and out.

I coach 5 teams at the highschool/middle school, so that quick detach appeals to me.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Hopefully you don't mean the hot garbage Serpa that is banned by many instructors for being dangerous? I dont recall them using a thub release on any of their holsters.
    Do you care to elaborate?

It doesn't have the thumb release, but utilizes the trigger finger for the side button release.
    I have one, and haven't had any issues. I did consider getting the Safariland holster, just haven't got around to it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

It doesn't have the thumb release, but utilizes the trigger finger for the side button release.
    I have one, and haven't had any issues. I did consider getting the Safariland holster, just haven't got around to it.

I definitely don't want to hit the release with my trigger finger. In my mind, down pressure with a thumb is easier than side pressure with a finger.

At this stage I'm really leaving towards aliengear.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion

Many are concerned with the possibility of the trigger finger slipping into the trigger guard and having a negligent discharge. The polymer is also brittle and easily broken in my experience. My biggest problem with them is how easy it is to get debris stuck in the release locking your gun in. I've been able to consistently lock a Serpa up with snow which is no bueno.

I believe Blackhawk does have a thumb release holster but I can't recall the model at the moment.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Many are concerned with the possibility of the trigger finger slipping into the trigger guard and having a negligent discharge. The polymer is also brittle and easily broken in my experience. My biggest problem with them is how easy it is to get debris stuck in the release locking your gun in. I've been able to consistently lock a Serpa up with snow which is no bueno.

I believe Blackhawk does have a thumb release holster but I can't recall the model at the moment.
    I don't know the design for every gun, but for a SIG P229, the trigger finger lands on the frame above the trigger, if it's used correctly.
    Maybe other styles are different?

Mine still seems pretty pliable, after 10 years or so. I haven't noticed any indication of brittleness.
    I've also never had the release get stuck or locked. Although, I don't roll around in the snow, or mud, or anything like that.
    I keep it pretty clean and haven't had any problems, but maybe I should look at getting that Safariland sooner over later.

This is just my experience.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    “If used correctly”. Thats the problem. Under stress the press is initiated hard and instead of landing on the frame, the finger continues on into the trigger guard and hits the trigger. And in a few cases before it clears the body, and the bullet strikes the person on the leg.

Do a youtube search for Tex Grebner. He documents his injurious ND with a Serpa.

Lpherr

Occupied
    “If used correctly”. Thats the problem. Under stress the press is initiated hard and instead of landing on the frame, the finger continues on into the trigger guard and hits the trigger. And in a few cases before it clears the body, and the bullet strikes the person on the leg.

Do a youtube search for Tex Grebner. He documents his injurious ND with a Serpa.
    I'm sure it can happen, but it could also happen with any other holster.
    The trigger finger has to be splayed along the holster on the draw, so the finger could inadvertently enter the trigger guard.
    There are a million things that "can" happen under stress. Isn't that why we train with what we use?

Maybe I'm using it incorrectly. I don't use my finger tip to depress the release button, I use my finger print, so even if the finger missed the frame, it wouldn't pull the trigger.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I watched the Tex video. Look closely, and you can see his finger is already curled while depressing the release button, and he kept it curled all the way out of the holster and straight onto the trigger.
    He also admitted it was operator error.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What I want is a Safariland ALS for an M&P 2.0 compact with an optic. So far they don't make one.
    Check out the Dara level 2 retention holsters. That's where I ended up after I got tired of trying to navigate the safariland site.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I watched the Tex video. Look closely, and you can see his finger is already curled while depressing the release button, and he kept it curled all the way out of the holster and straight onto the trigger.
    He also admitted it was operator error.
    Correct. But can you absolutely positively without a doubt GUARANTEE you wont have an operator error and slip like him under stress/rush? If you say yes you are a fool or a liar. (meant with respect)

If your thumb doesn't go where it should with the ALS system, it wont cause a ND. Thats the difference between the two.

Its a big enough risk many trainers banned them from their classes. That should tell you a lot.

I bought two before I learned the risks. Once I was educated as to what can happen, I removed the catch and tightened the retention screws to use them as range holsters.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Correct. But can you absolutely positively without a doubt GUARANTEE you wont have an operator error and slip like him under stress/rush? If you say yes you are a fool or a liar. (meant with respect)

If your thumb doesn't go where it should with the ALS system, it wont cause a ND. Thats the difference between the two.

Its a big enough risk many trainers banned them from their classes. That should tell you a lot.

I bought two before I learned the risks. Once I was educated as to what can happen, I removed the catch and tightened the retention screws to use them as range holsters.
    There are no guarantee's for anything. Could it happen? Yes, of course it could.

I've drawn from my holster thousands of times, and be it luck or whatever, my finger has never touched the trigger.
    Maybe it's something with it being the type of gun it houses, my extra large hands, or the number of marshmallows in Lucky Charms.
    My concern isn't if I catch the trigger under stress, it's now whether or not the button will release or not.

I'm willing to bet, there are as many trainers that state the Serpa is a good holster, as there are the one's banning them.
    Just like anything in life, it's always split somewhere in the middle. Take the P320 for example. Many people have stated issues, and many have stated the opposite.
    I did read, the military used the Serpa exclusively, but are introducing the Safariland ALS.

I can only state my experience, but I think I'll look at getting the Safariland for myself real soon.

Top Bottom