• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spring1898

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2021
    North of Galveston
    Their guns are nice. Generally Patterned after the marlin style of lever guns with changes but with common styling cues,
    Fit and finish is on the whole better than the early Remlin guns, equal to or better to the end time before marlin got bought out. However I still recommend getting it in person and making sure all is good. I have held and owned a few and the QC varies like every modern manufacturer. One 45-70 was gritty, the next was smooth. One had great furniture fit, the other looked like a remlin. So don't think just because it is a henry it is heads and shoulders above everyone else.

They can be a little on the pricey side. They finally put in a side loading gate which is a plus for me.

In rifle calibers they are about the same weight as their wood stocked marlin equivalents. The tactical Black versions are substantially heavier. Their Black 30-30 is about 8.5 lbs. A far cry from the 6.5lb marlins or the 6lb winchesters.

In pistol calibers they weight difference is also substantial. An 1892 Win is around the 5.5lb mark, A marlin 1894 in the 6-6.5 mark depending on furniture and barrel length. The henry 7lbs+. This is from them using a shorter action of their standard design as opposed to marlin and winchester using a smaller frame/action. This should not be construed as a "weaker" action as both are at least as strong as the henry. The 1892, probably the strongest.

As far as caliber, for anything with reaching out ballistics like the 308 I would say stick with a bolt gun. They are cheaper and inherently more accurate for that purpose.
    For the heavy lobbers like 45-70, 444, or the pistol calibers, that is where the lever gun shines as a 'lightweight' fast handy rifle. To me if you take away the lightweight and handiness, there isn't much point to them.

But if you want one, then get whatever you want. 308 lever gun is definitely different, although it shares a lot in common with a bolt gun except for how the bolt is extracted and looks.

bgipe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Their guns are nice. Generally Patterned after the marlin style of lever guns with changes but with common styling cues,
    Fit and finish is on the whole better than the early Remlin guns, equal to or better to the end time before marlin got bought out. However I still recommend getting it in person and making sure all is good. I have held and owned a few and the QC varies like every modern manufacturer. One 45-70 was gritty, the next was smooth. One had great furniture fit, the other looked like a remlin. So don't think just because it is a henry it is heads and shoulders above everyone else.

They can be a little on the pricey side. They finally put in a side loading gate which is a plus for me.

In rifle calibers they are about the same weight as their wood stocked marlin equivalents. The tactical Black versions are substantially heavier. Their Black 30-30 is about 8.5 lbs. A far cry from the 6.5lb marlins or the 6lb winchesters.

In pistol calibers they weight difference is also substantial. An 1892 Win is around the 5.5lb mark, A marlin 1894 in the 6-6.5 mark depending on furniture and barrel length. The henry 7lbs+. This is from them using a shorter action of their standard design as opposed to marlin and winchester using a smaller frame/action. This should not be construed as a "weaker" action as both are at least as strong as the henry. The 1892, probably the strongest.

As far as caliber, for anything with reaching out ballistics like the 308 I would say stick with a bolt gun. They are cheaper and inherently more accurate for that purpose.
    For the heavy lobbers like 45-70, 444, or the pistol calibers, that is where the lever gun shines as a 'lightweight' fast handy rifle. To me if you take away the lightweight and handiness, there isn't much point to them.

But if you want one, then get whatever you want. 308 lever gun is definitely different, although it shares a lot in common with a bolt gun except for how the bolt is extracted and looks.
    Thanks for your info. I've got two Henry .22 Magnums. Both are accurate and smooth. I also have a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun with which I got a black bear in southern Canada back in 2008. I'll definitely see if I can locate (Bass Pro/Cabella's) a big bore Henry and do some touchy feely with it prior to ordering one. God bless!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some lever actions made in 308 besides Henry.
    Browning BLR and savage 99. Both in my humbles are two of the greatest lever actions made. The browning will not have a great trigger but can be made to be average to above average. Looks great and as accurate as a 308 bolt gun of the same barrel length.

The savage 99 is a rather strange looker compared to a marlin or Winchester. Might be my favorite 308 lever ever.

Just opening up your shopping options.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I've gotta get me a .45-70. I've got lever guns and love them. Do I need a lever gun in .45-70? What about that Henry break open single shot .45-70? Anyone have any experience with one of these rifles?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've gotta get me a .45-70. I've got lever guns and love them. Do I need a lever gun in .45-70? What about that Henry break open single shot .45-70? Anyone have any experience with one of these rifles?
    Not with the Henry brand, but I have both rifles.
    Marlin 1895 and H&R break-action single shot, both in .45-70gvt.
    I won't be getting rid of either of them.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've never understood the Henry Long Ranger. The BLR has been around a long time, has far more calibers and features available, is better looking IMO, can be had for a similar if not cheaper price and is still not all that popular. Certainly not popular enough to encourage competition in an uncrowded but niche market. Nice used Savage 99s can be found cheaper and IMO, is closer to the epitome of the concept.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Own a Marlin 45-70 and it's really versatile if you handload. I put a scout scope on it and was pleasantly surprised how accurate the load can be. You can build loads that are enjoyable to shoot (1,000 FPS 450 Gr) to full house TRex killers. It just depends on distance. From 200 yards in...45-70 without a doubt. Any time I'm in the wood with possible bear or boar...the 45-70 is with me.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would check as to how long OAL is in the Henry as longer OAL means you can use a heaver bullet. Personally I would get a Winchester/Miroku .45-70 Model 1886 as I have handled and shot one.

Top Bottom