• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    A friend just gave me her Dad‘s hi standard double nine 22 revolver. He died some time ago and she didn’t want it. Seems to be an okay made pistol, nine shots, and double action. I don’t think that is the original grip on it and the trigger has some sort of attachment on it to make the trigger wider. I don’t really know much at all about this brand or model of pistols. Anybody here know anything about them?

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpeg
      IMG_0489.jpeg
      463.3 KB · Views: 45

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The W104's were made from 1962 to 1970. He must have used this as a target pistol with the after market grips and the trigger attachment.

These are great pistols and are constantly increasing in value. This one has a chrome finish which means it has a steel frame. A lot of them were made with alloy frames and I personally prefer the steel.

Factory grips are available and the trigger attachment usually has an Allen screw to remove it. Myself, I would keep it just as is to honor the man who made this gun available to you. You have been blessed.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    PS: HS makes a variety of handguns both revolver and auto. All of them are good shooters and the Military used several variations of the autos on their shooting teams.

Any of the HS's made in Hamden, Conn are desirable. I believe they are currently made in Texas but those do not have the following of the early made ones.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had a few over the years, none as nice as yours, but great shooters, and just fun guns. Enjoy, you have been truly blessed, hand it down to your kids, they'll thank you.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    These are a few of my HS handguns. The one in the upper right was my father in laws, a W101 made in the first year of production (1958). The upper left model is just know as "The Gun", it has a long octagonal barrel with the steel frame and shoots like nobody's business. They had a lot of other model names over the years like "The Marshal" and "Durango" (to name a few) but at heart they were all double nines.

The bottom right is a chrome HB. H meaning hammer and B was the model. To date I have not met anyone who has even seen another factory chromed example. The one with the barrel furthest to the left is a Military HD as is the one just above it. One of the few guns where having it marked military actually decreases it's value over a non-military HD.

If you want weird, do a search for "High Standard Space Gun", that one will curl your toes and so will the price. Hope this helps with making you both comfortable and familiar with the brand.
    1702676591968.png

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Thanks for the info guys. I really knew nothing about these, except that they seemed to be decent guns. On this one, the double action doesn’t always work, fails to turn the cylinder. Single action Works great. This thing is pretty darn accurate. I’m not going to do anything to this gun except oil it, shoot it, and oil it. I am happy to have it and will make sure that she, the one who gave it to me, is happy with what I have done with it. It truly is pretty darn accurate. I am impressed with it so far.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I inherited my late Grandfather's Double Nine some years back. Alloy frame, cylinder locks up after it warms up. Reminds me of him, I won't sell it. (with my Single Six and Wrangler)

Attachments

• IMG_8733.jpeg
      IMG_8733.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 7

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My Dad always carried one in the woods when we'd go stomping around. It's the first pistol I ever shot as a boy.

I had to have one for myself as an adult. My Dad bought one for me for my birthday from an auction. I then thought, my boy needs one too. So last year I bought him one at an auction and gave it to him for his birthday.

Good little plinking pistols

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I happened to find a chrome one like yours at my LGS with the original and two sets of stocks; black and ivory. I never knew they existed. It is a great shooter and having 9 rounds makes the fun last longer. Hope you enjoy yours too! And as someone else said above, mine is going to be passed down...to a grandson.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Here's my JC Higgins Hombre, basically a HS Double 9 made for Seas.
    It was my dad's, In the late 60s he gave it to my cousin. Dad passed in the mid 70's, about 10 yrs ago my cousin gave it to me before he passed.
    It was given to me in a box, tore apart with a couple of broken pieces and a few missing.
    Numrich had everything except for the shiny pin in the pic, it's a cut off drill bit.

Attachments

• 20231222_142112.jpg
      20231222_142112.jpg
      613.5 KB · Views: 8
    Top Bottom