• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeHinds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    This sounds like a loaded phrase, like "assault rifle". I'm originally from the northwest (WA state, NOT the Chicago area!). Out there the standard deer rifle would be a 30-06. Yet when I mentioned I may be looking for a 30-06 deer rifle, I'm told I may not use one in Indiana because it is a "high-powered rifle".

The gun shop where I first learned this is a reputable place and I did not doubt them, but my curiosity led me to the state website to confirm it. My jaw is still on the floor. How COULD anyone think that a 30-06, or .308, or .300 Win Mag, etc., are in any way inappropriate for deer hunting? I was raised differently.

I know that long-time Hoosiers will not find this as strange as I do. But I have questions:
    1) How did this policy ever come about?
    2) Is anyone aware of an effort to correct (I mean change) the rules?

If not, I really don't want to hunt here. That would be like packing in CA where your bullets aren't allowed to be in the gun!

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am not sure when/how the rule came about. I am 26 and it has been that way as long as I can remember.

The only reason I can come up with that most easily hunted public land looks like a pumpkin patch on opening weekend of gun season. SO, my guess is the guberment in an order to make it "safer" decided to limit hunting to approved handgun calibers, shotguns, and muzzle-loaders.

Other will be along to correct/fill in the details.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I thought it to be a little on the silly side when I heard what cannot be used for deer hunting in otherwise very firearm friendly Indiana. It seems the powers that be don't understand the true ballistics of the slug out of a good 12Ga shottie!!!!!

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    In TX anything goes. You can kill feral hogs any way you want but you can't blow them up or posion them. I guess i have to find a better use for my new RPG

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    It is a little odd, but in some ways makes sense. In some parts of the state being very flat, a round out of a high powered rifle could travel a long distance. Where a round from a shotgun starts dropping very soon. That said, I would like to see the DNR open up the rifles that can be used. I think that they are slowly doing that. Only a few years ago rifles in pistol cartriges were not allowed. Now they are opening up more and more "deer legal" rounds.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    This sounds like a loaded phrase, like "assault rifle". I'm originally from the northwest (WA state, NOT the Chicago area!). Out there the standard deer rifle would be a 30-06. Yet when I mentioned I may be looking for a 30-06 deer rifle, I'm told I may not use one in Indiana because it is a "high-powered rifle".

The gun shop where I first learned this is a reputable place and I did not doubt them, but my curiosity led me to the state website to confirm it. My jaw is still on the floor. How COULD anyone think that a 30-06, or .308, or .300 Win Mag, etc., are in any way inappropriate for deer hunting? I was raised differently.

I know that long-time Hoosiers will not find this as strange as I do. But I have questions:
    1) How did this policy ever come about?
    2) Is anyone aware of an effort to correct (I mean change) the rules?

If not, I really don't want to hunt here. That would be like packing in CA where your bullets aren't allowed to be in the gun!

The reason is clear...if "high powered rifle" was allowed, people in Indiana would die by the thousands within 5 minutes of sunrise on opening morning--a real bloodbath.

On a more serious note, it is ridiculous. You can kill a coyote with a 50 BMG, but can't hunt a deer with a .308. I thought about writing some letters concerning this, but I just can't believe it would actually do any good.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The reason is clear...if "high powered rifle" was allowed, people in Indiana would die by the thousands within 5 minutes of sunrise on opening morning--a real bloodbath.

On a more serious note, it is ridiculous. You can kill a coyote with a 50 BMG, but can't hunt a deer with a .308. I thought about writing some letters concerning this, but I just can't believe it would actually do any good.

My only guess would be, as others alluded to, the short season for dear means a MUCH higher concentration of hunters in the field at once.

Furbearing seasons last most of the year and far fewer people hunt them hard, so the concentration of hunters in the field is MUCH lower. Couple that with the fact that most smaller furbearers are taken with rimfire calibers (squirrels, rabbits) and there's probably not all THAT many people that hunt coyote.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid, but that is my best guess as to the reason.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I too think its a bit on the restrictive side, would love to hunt deer with my .243 or 30-06! I "think" the reason has to do with population density but am not certain. Most places in IN you cannot go 1/2 mile without running into a home.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    In Indiana, there are approx 120K deer killed every year. In PA there are approx 500,000+ deer killed each year yet they allow high powered rifles in all but two counties, those which Philly and Pitt are in. Those counties are highly populated areas with much smaller areas to hunt. The only place that I have found where the hunter concentration in Indiana is approx the same as back in PA is on the SP and Military hunts.

I always thought the restriction to shotguns and muzzleloaders is that it had to Indiana being relatively flat and that if you had 100K hunters all shooting high powered rifles, you would have a greater chance for accidental shootings as a 30-06 could travel a few miles.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Listening to the idiots around me I'm glad they are not using "high power" rifles, I always laugh hearing the 6 rapid fire shots from a magnum or multiple round from a shotgun... Really ya think that you're going to hit it running if you couldn't hit it standing still??? Opening day I usually try to stay inside, I always feel like I might pick up a stray round if I'm out in the yard.

That aside I've always thought that the laws were written by someone that didn't really understand ballistics at all.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It has been this way as long as I remember. I am not going to bother checking, but I believe I was told southern Michigan has the same rule.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    yes it would be nice to use a rifle. but honestly, where are you taking shots over 250 yds in indiana? yes, i realize that you're not going to take a shot that far with a shotgun, but with the advances in slugs these days 200 is not out of the question. and the same thing with muzzle loaders. where i hunt, 150 is about as far as it gets. i could understand and would like to be able to use a 30-30 or 35. but i just don't see the need for "longer range" rifles here in indiana for deer. besides, if you could use the rifle you already have, then you wouldn't have an excuse to go out and buy a new gun!:D

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    years ago the Whitetailed deer was all but extinct in indiana and hunting was shut down. as the population of deer began to return, hunting with limited "short range" firepower was allowed. With current conservation practices and hunting seasons, the deer numbers are booming. A few years back we got the law changed to allow certain "handgun caliber" rifles. Deer number are still booming so we may be working our way back to "high powered" rifles. I was led to believe for years that this was about Indiana being flat and this being a safety issue, but I was informed by a DNR old timer a while back that the firearms restrictions were part of balancing deer population, and avoiding overharvest. but with the current laws the deer pop continues to grow despite the hunting pressure. IMHO Its only a matter of time before they have to step up the legal firearms and/or extend the seasons.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    In Indiana you can shoot a squirell out of a tree with a 300 win mag but no deer on the ground.DNR at it's finest.:dunno:
    If u do happen shoot a squirrel from a limb with a .300 W. M. you'd just hafta track him for hours, probably with very little blood sign.:hehe:. But seriously you should'nt need a caliber that can really reach out there to kill a whitetail in Indiana. To many hoosier folks just past the tree line....:D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Listening to the idiots around me I'm glad they are not using "high power" rifles, I always laugh hearing the 6 rapid fire shots from a magnum or multiple round from a shotgun... Really ya think that you're going to hit it running if you couldn't hit it standing still???

I feel the same way on opening day, but idiots will be idiots, and I don't like being held back on their account. I'd happily show up at DNR range and plink deer vital sized UKD steel plates to show I can, if it would get me a rifle license.

Probably not though, as I have a 243AI XP 100.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In some parts of the state being very flat, a round out of a high powered rifle could travel a long distance.

I always thought the restriction to shotguns and muzzleloaders is that it had to Indiana being relatively flat and that if you had 100K hunters all shooting high powered rifles, you would have a greater chance for accidental shootings as a 30-06 could travel a few miles.

The notion that terrain plays the motive for this rule is a gun shop rumor that I have been attempting to kill for years now. It's a better zombie than the repeal of the lifetime carry license.

Terrain plays no role here. Texas, is case you have not been, is as flat as a pancake and centerfire rifles are all the rage and far safer than shotguns.

Further, a study from Pennsylvania put the "shotguns are safer" myth to death years ago. Shotguns with slugs are far more dangerous than centerfire rifles.

New Study Shows Shotguns Are Not Safer Than Rifles For Deer Hunting - Black Bear Blog

Study: Shotguns not safer for deer hunting

The original motivation in the early '50s was to provide a "sporting chance" for the deer. The shotgun only for deer (many exceptions including pistol carbines, predation permits, T/C Contenders, etc.) has stuck by bureaucratic inertia.

Recently IDNR is floating a false history and cover story as to why they do not want it changed (oh, the terrain, the children, the whatever) which I deride as the "IDNR Magic Bullet Theory" as you can plink a squirrel in a tree with a .270 and if you miss the bullet will turn into pixie dust. However, a .270 launced down at a deer from a tree stand will kill every single woman and minority within a 10 mile radius.

The rule had a reason . . . in 1951. Now it only helps bureaucrats and trophy hunters.

Top Bottom